Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I've fed it to as young as 3-4 day olds...I just pull fodder apart and chop it up for them...I've only been feeding it since winter started this year and I don't keep lights on my chickens so I don't get many eggs but the ones I do get all have nice rich yolks. As to the quail I do have lights on them and they have been laying pretty consistently and seem to be doing well even in the cold. The fodder has helped a bit with the 'grocery' bill though.;) I haven't noticed a big difference in the overall condition then from when they were free range during the summer though. (the big chickens... my quail don't free range)

I've fed it to as young as 3-4 day olds...I just pull fodder apart and chop it up for them...I've only been feeding it since winter started this year and I don't keep lights on my chickens so I don't get many eggs but the ones I do get all have nice rich yolks. As to the quail I do have lights on them and they have been laying pretty consistently and seem to be doing well even in the cold. The fodder has helped a bit with the 'grocery' bill though.;) I haven't noticed a big difference in the overall condition then from when they were free range during the summer though. (the big chickens... my quail don't free range)

I'm looking forward to allotting my money in other homesteading projects than paying for organic feed! Thanks for your input can't wait to start sprouting:)

24 little egg machines hatched so far, several more to go! I set 61 eggs.
yesss.gif

I had to pull out the dry babies, they were trampling the other chicks still hatching.
One was put back into the bator (right center) he was not dry enough yet.

I used a 10 gallon aquarium for a brooder until they get their land legs. some are already zooming around so they will need to go into my bigger tank tomorrow.

Still no eggs for me, getting worried!
I don't use artificial lighting, but especially after day light savings, we are getting an abundance (live in NC).
Everything's laying except my quails.
They hatched Christmas, so they're plenty old enough! The rest were all processed about 8 weeks ago...

Still no eggs for me, getting worried!
I don't use artificial lighting, but especially after day light savings, we are getting an abundance (live in NC).
Everything's laying except my quails.
They hatched Christmas, so they're plenty old enough! The rest were all processed about 8 weeks ago...
I know you answered this already, what protein % are they on?

Flockraiser is 20%. Does anyone know I'd it comes in pellet form? the crumbles just seem like so much is wasted...
Um...r u sure u didn't process the girls instead of the boys? LOL I hatched some at about the same time and they have had lights and are laying well. It seems like they'll lay everyday for 3 weeks then take a week off then start again...

Purina flock raiser-- I'd have to check the tag but I think it's 18%, maybe 19%
I know it's the highest my feed store carries
They will be delayed on laying, might be a few weeks yet.
If you can get mealworms or even chopped eggs into them, it will help a lot to give them the protein boost they need.
Ideally they need up to 30% protein as a meat bird. Just for egg production, even 24% would be a big improvement.

They will be delayed on laying, might be a few weeks yet.
If you can get mealworms or even chopped eggs into them, it will help a lot to give them the protein boost they need.
Ideally they need up to 30% protein as a meat bird. Just for egg production, even 24% would be a big improvement.

I have regular-sized coturnix and A&Ms & they're for meat and eggs. I was using a mix if 26% organic turkey feed and 30% Purina Gamebird Chow. When I ran out of the organic feed and the birds were just on the 30%, I noticed a lot of prolapse on my hens. In fact, we lost one to it. What would you recommend as percent of feed for quails raised for both meat & eggs?

Back
Top Bottom