Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Id get the higher protein feed for your birds. Once they settle in, you will probably be able to tell what you have!

I moved my birds outside last week and I were getting eggs at first, but now they have stopped laying. I'm assuming it's because they are getting less light, but I moved them into a spacious coop yesterday and couldn't help but notice how easy they were to catch and how much I could feel their keels :-/

Will they settle in eventually? I'm hoping locking them up in a warm, dry coop for the night will help them feel more secure. I had a hutch/run before where they stayed out at night...
They do like to hide, and I bet it will help them. Anytime you make a change it can disrupt the laying a day or so.

Well mine seem to be doing ok. Were out in the hutch until dusk. I brought em inside in a biggish carrier for the night since its still kinda cold. This mornin they went back out and all seem good. Hopped around and peeped a bit went to eatin and drinkin.

On Saturday I got 1 egg from my 5 girls. Sunday 2 and none since. What's up with that? Ideas? I was so excited thinking Here we go! Saturday night it was cold and snowy but it was 50 yesterday and to be 70 today. Ugh.

I give them a lot, probably too much food and water daily since they grow so fast, there is always a lot left.
I am just worried they will go hungry so I overstock the supplies.

I got an extra feeder and waterer so there is food and water available up inside and out in the run.

They are getting a bit more adventurous the more they are in there.

On Saturday I got 1 egg from my 5 girls. Sunday 2 and none since. What's up with that? Ideas? I was so excited thinking Here we go! Saturday night it was cold and snowy but it was 50 yesterday and to be 70 today. Ugh.

How old are they? When the hens first start, they may be sporadic layers. Be sure to offer oyster shell/cuttle bone and highest protein feed you can.

Ok everyone I have a question. I have a hen ripping out feathers on the rooster and the hens bottom beak is over grown and she is being aggressive to the rooster. What do I do to help both?

Assuming you don't have enough quail to justify just culling? I have a pen of hens I have kept around since they are great layers, but they won't tolerate a rooster, as in nearly killed two of them. You can trim the beak if you can stomach it. If either is injured, you need to separate the injured bird. It won't get better with the aggressor still in the pen. It will brutality the other.
Ok everyone I have a question. I have a hen ripping out feathers on the rooster and the hens bottom beak is over grown and she is being aggressive to the rooster. What do I do to help both?

Back
Top Bottom