Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Howdy everyone! Just set my first batch of coturnix eggs yesterday. Lookin forward To adding quail to my stock. Is this and active q/a thread or can someone direct me in a direction?

I plan to add quail to our home shortly. I just picked up a bag of startena 30%, cuttlebone, already have oyster shells for the hens in bulk so that was easy, but wondering how many people switch to gamebird layer at maturity and why? I mean is there a specific reason for changing the amount of protein.

Also... I have heard mention using medicated chick feed at first. Is that a wise idea or should i just jump to startena?

Thanks,

The higher protein is necessary for growth. Once maturity hits that excess protein can cause issues in the organs of the birds...i believe it is the liver that is most susceptable

At maturity mine go mostly on fodder of sprouted wheat black oil sunflower and any other seed I have at the time, meal worms I raise, and kale and other veggies I raise. I supplement with cuddle bone its more digestable than oyster and helps keep their beaks in good shape. So I keep the commercial feed at 30% so i make sure they can fill any gaps with it as free feed. They keep weight fine and lay fine like this. I have raised parrot and other pet birds for years and prefer more natural seasonal diets for my birds of any kind. A lot of people disagree with me though so do your research and do what you find is best when you can make an informed decission. My parrots would hate me if all they every ate was pellet, and I would hate only ever eating cereal wouldn't you? Mine also get probiotics and other things. I know this sounds like a lot but it costs me less than feed alone and my birds are very healthy.

I bought 1 bag of layena but I won't be replacing it. Every one will be getting starter. Easier to have one feed for every one. I only use 2 yogurt cups or so a day for my adults.
With the starter they will get seeds and greens, oyster shell..
I noticed this morning when I moved the adults they are getting a little light on their weight on the layena.
And I think the layena and starter are the same price. Layena 20%, starter 30%. The hens eat more Layena than they did starter. So It makes sence to go back to starter.

You should not feed quail or any bird for that matter medicated feed. Quail it cause health problems but also this is how we end up with super bugs that are antibiotic resistant.

It is common practice to feed purina game bird startena 30% protein, from hatch to dispatch.... Coturnix, bobs, Gambles, Scales and even chukar too. Countless breeders use medicated as well, because in many areas, you can not get anything else. The whole "Dont use medicated feed" is mostly spread by those who have no experience with it. There are many here from the Ga. area who have used medicated feed for literally years and raise fine large birds. Bill

It is common practice to feed purina game bird startena 30% protein, from hatch to dispatch.... Coturnix, bobs, Gambles, Scales and even chukar too. Countless breeders use medicated as well, because in many areas, you can not get anything else. The whole "Dont use medicated feed" is mostly spread by those who have no experience with it. There are many here from the Ga. area who have used medicated feed for literally years and raise fine large birds. Bill
. I use medicated feed with no problems

Back
Top Bottom