coturnix quail

Quail eggs will not hatch that were recently in a fridge. Also you cannot incubate eggs in a brooder, a brooder is for chicks that have already hatched. A brooder would not hatch any eggs because it would not be able to keep the right temp/humidity.

Quail eggs will not hatch that were recently in a fridge. Also you cannot incubate eggs in a brooder, a brooder is for chicks that have already hatched. A brooder would not hatch any eggs because it would not be able to keep the right temp/humidity.
Thats not entirely true. Eggs will hatch after being refrigerated but there are limits to temperature and time in the fridge. I have an article somewhere in which a university investigated the fertility and hatchability of eggs from the fridge. I'll have to dig it up.

At any rate there are plenty of members here who have birds from chilled eggs. Just do a search of BYC for incubating refrigerated eggs.

Hey at least I learned something new today! My dad would always tell me they won't hatch, so I thought it was true. My bad.

I've read the best way to store them was at like 50 degrees and some odd humdity.
I often wonder if they would still hatch if a fertile egg was cryo froze and then thawed.

50-60* and 50% humidity IIRC. I've read that people use wine fridges for egg storage because the unit controls humidity and temperature. I have yet to feel like spending $400 to find out.

Hey Dc3085, you have some place around to get liquid nitrogen? Lol, maybe you could try the cryo freeze experiment. If they still hatch after a cryo freeze, it would make shipping a breeze.

My house is very very old, my laundry room was built on, oh 30 years ago, its the only part of the house on a concrete slab, I have found the most isolated corner in there stays pretty close to ideal for storing hatching eggs, So there is where I store mine.

For many folks, under their homes are going to be pretty close too, but you might need a strong box to protect the eggs from visitors.

HTH, QJ

You cannot control humidity in a brooder like you can an incubator so buy an incubator then use the brooder after they hatch.

Hey Dc3085, you have some place around to get liquid nitrogen? Lol, maybe you could try the cryo freeze experiment. If they still hatch after a cryo freeze, it would make shipping a breeze.
It would be fun to try. The hard part would be getting the eggs to freeze without cracking the shell.

I thought about that. Probably could use one of the plastic egg holders they use on model rockets.
I don't know how long it would take to thaw though.
I would do it if we had a model shop around here, and some place I could get some nitrogen.

Back
Top Bottom