Coyotes Beware!

Their Other Mother

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Arizona
The Coyotes have been really bad here the last few weeks since the Best Dog in the Whole Wide World died on October 4th. They have ripped up our female Great Dane and killed our entire flock (small as it was, we loved them anyway) Others in the area have had the same complaints.

We had the Sheriff out last night and he told us we can shoot the coyotes on our property to protect our livestock. I'm am reserved about actually "doing it" because you never know just how far a bullet can stray and although we live in a rural community there are other homes close enough that a bullet could do .....I shudder to think what...HOWEVER, It makes me feel better knowing that that the law is on our side concerning these beasts.

I have them circling the camp every night right now also, I put/have electric fencing around the coops/pens and they have not come closer. The other morning I walked out to check for eggs and a coyote was sitting in front of the pen watching them and did not even move when I was walking towards it. I am in a rural but populated area and think the same thing about bullets, so I am hoping a paintball gun will at least spook them off if they get any ideas.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your dogs and your flock.
I'm betting that there's an organization near you that would be willing to give you shooting lessons. That would give you total confidence when firing your rifle where you live, especially if the sheriff said that you could legally. GOOD LUCK!

We have the hog wire type fencing all around our pasture and then a strand on the top and one on the bottom, and the dang coyotes are ripping the block in the fence apart to get in there. I also have had to wrap the gates in barbed wire and string barbed wire about 8 inches above the gates because they are trying to climb over!!!!! I am having heck with them getting TOO brave this year. We have sheep and I am going to be super *^$$#@ if they get one of them. I have sat out there til 4am and they always show up after I go inside.

Get deer loads for a shotgun. They are a solid slug and don't travel as far as a regular bullet. That is if you have a 12 ga shotgun.

Also. If you have a local paper put an ad out for trappers to come put out some traps to trap them. Most of the time they will do for it free bc they can sell the pelts.

Just some ideas. Good Luck

Nick

I use a .243 with an electronic caller.

Howl. Bang. Flop. The end.

Things will get worse with the days getting shorter. The only advantage is you can sleep in longer to be out there at dawn shooting.

I concur with the use of a .243. Short of that, you'll go through a lot of different types of "prevention", and they'll still be around.

I know a lot of guys hunt coyotes - If you don't want to do it, why not look into finding a local hunter to help you out? I know a lot of hunters are just dying to find property to hunt on.

I use 58 gr v-max, so I can even pop nutria with them without being overkill. Plenty for coyotes as well. I can then ramp up to a 110 gr for deer season, but I gave up hunting for farmed meat a long time ago.

I have a question about the way coyotes hunt.

When they wake me up at night with their distant frenzied howls and yipping, is it because they have caught something? The noise dies down after a few minutes, but of course, by then, my head is under a pillow.

If they come onto our property and try to get at the chickens in their coop, will they make the same noise? Or only if they are actually making a kill?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom