Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Pics
Quote:
wildtype is the Only e allele were the headspot on the females is either absent or very faint.. check Rhodebard chicks, welbar chicks also, 99% of females lack the headspot, only on legbars you see a very faint one in like 40% of the females.. BUT in other e alleles like Extended Black(for example Barred Rocks) the females have a headspot, but its maller than the males in the Allele ER birchen(for example Golden Cuckoo Marans) the females have a headspot aswell but its smaller and the Males are alot lighter than females, their chick down is affected by double dose of Barring. in the Allele of eb(crele Penedesenca, Wybars) the females also have a small headspot but they are dark brown and Males have a larger undefined heaspot and are much lighter than females... check my Thread on this subject...examples with pics.. take a look at the Golden cuckoo maran chicks http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=105920&page=all
Ill read it to learn. But i dont have and of those breeds. What do you know about barred cochins and how the genetics cross with a cream legbar. Is the barring silver. It looks to be silver

A barred cochin and a legbar wont produce sexlink or auto sexing as it will pass the barring gene to both chicks and I don't think(with my very limiting knowledge) that barred is a silver based color. I could be wrong, I am new to learning genetics.

I use Silver Laced wyandottes and Silver Laced Cochins for my CL Sexlinks

A Barred cochin can be used to create a black Sexlink using a different rooster

Last edited:
I would bet money on it that your right about which is male and female. The black one will be barred i bet and the head spot is a dead give away.

whill the Headspot is a Dead give a way that the chick is going to be Barred, its not so clear on the sex of the chick as the father was barred and mother black.. the chick can be male or female(50%) and I would say both chicks are females... would love to see the chicks in a few weeks from now

I will definitely post more pics as they get older.
What about the black chick makes you think it will turn out to be a hen? Just trying to learn to notice differences and similarities.

Would the chicks from a CCL roo x Marans (any color) hen be autosexing?

Quote:

wildtype is the Only e allele were the headspot on the females is either absent or very faint.. check Rhodebard chicks, welbar chicks also, 99% of females lack the headspot, only on legbars you see a very faint one in like 40% of the females..

BUT in other e alleles like Extended Black(for example Barred Rocks) the females have a headspot, but its maller than the males

in the Allele ER birchen(for example Golden Cuckoo Marans) the females have a headspot aswell but its smaller and the Males are alot lighter than females, their chick down is affected by double dose of Barring.

in the Allele of eb(crele Penedesenca, Wybars) the females also have a small headspot but they are dark brown and Males have a larger undefined heaspot and are much lighter than females...

check my Thread on this subject...examples with pics.. take a look at the Golden cuckoo maran chicks

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=105920&page=all

Just Wow! I really wish that I had your knowledge level of chicken genetics. Would you have any recommendations/links where one could improve their knowledge level in this subject matter? There is so much to learn which is a great thing.
smile.png

I started back on 2006 and I joined The Classroom At The Coops genetic forums, where genetic gurus like Mr. Henk, Mrs. Sonoran Silkies, Dr. Ron Okimoto(geneticist) and the Creator of Current European Chocolate Orps, Wyandottes used that place to exchange genetic info.. I learned a great deal from them and from reading good books like Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R.D Crawford... and just being dedicated to the subject

A barred cochin and a legbar wont produce sexlink or auto sexing as it will pass the barring gene to both chicks and I don't think(with my very limiting knowledge) that barred is a silver based color. I could be wrong, I am new to learning genetics.

I use Silver Laced wyandottes and Silver Laced Cochins for my CL Sexlinks

A Barred cochin can be used to create a black Sexlink using a different rooster

From what i see infront of me everyday your wrong. If you looked at the pics both chicks are Not barred the one without a head spot is not barred. the one with a head spot is barred and all 3 with a head spot have been barred. Im not a expert but after awhile you start to notice males from females. Ive been dead on with the ones i watch everyday in my own pens. Behavior tells you allot. I was 100% correct about my riw crosses even though experts said i was wrong or you cant tell at week old stage. I keep asking nicalandia if barred cochin has the silver gene for there barring but he keeps answering me by telling me about other breeds. Which even if i learn about those breeds it does nothin for me becaues i still dont know about the cochin i have and how is a barred cochin like those other breeds. WHO KNOWS. You really cant deny someone by telling them how a diffrent breed works. You would really need to talk about the birds they have and talk about the genetics of the birds in question not other breeds if your going to say their wrong. Other wise its just a run around avoiding the breeds in question to be an expert about diffrent breeds. You cant really take what youve learned about other breeds and blanket that info over other breeds that have diffrent genetics

Last edited:
Quote:
I think the black chick is a female... it just look like one, the comb is very small and the headspot is faint.. now to the CCL roo x Marans...... Only if cross to the Black Copper marans, a cross to Black marans will not be autosexing, a cross to Wheaten Maran will only yield some wildtype looking birds but some will also be all yellow.. so no good... a croos of CCL roo to maran will yeild Golden cuckoo maran(autosexing marans) looking chicks...

From what i see infront of me everyday your wrong. If you looked at the pics both chicks are Not barred the one without a head spot is not barred. the one with a head spot is barred and all 3 with a head spot have been barred. Im not a expert but after awhile you start to notice males from females. Ive been dead on with the ones i watch everyday in my own pens. Behavior tells you allot. I was 100% correct about my riw crosses even though experts said i was wrong or you cant tell at week old stage. I keep asking nicalandia if barred cochin has the silver gene for there barring but he keeps answering me by telling me about other breeds. Which even if i learn about those breeds it does nothin for me becaues i still dont know about the cochin i have and how is a barred cochin like those other breeds. WHO KNOWS. You really cant deny someone by telling them how a diffrent breed works. You would really need to talk about the birds they have and talk about the genetics of the birds in question not other breeds if your going to say their wrong. Other wise its just a run around avoiding the breeds in question to be an expert about diffrent breeds. You cant really take what youve learned about other breeds and blanket that info over other breeds that have diffrent genetics
reposted with an edit added

Back
Top Bottom