Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Pics
effect of B/B and B/- on gold wheaten chick down?. None

example. Euskal Oiloa
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/510045/euskal-oiloa-basque-thread/400#post_7743360
75283_euskal_oiloa_chicks_017.jpg

so a cross of CL Roo over a Wheaten based breed will yield some of this yellow chicks and some chipmunk looking chiks, making autosexing not good at all...

I have done many legbar hybrids this season. The most well known is actually a project- the rose comb cream legbars. My pullets from this year started laying a week before 6 months, their egg color is more intense than their mothers which is nice. From that project, I kept a cockerel from the original cross and mated him back to legbar hens just to try to see what the pattern looked like without barring. I noticed that some of the non-barred birds had overly melanized hackle and poor pattern. I figure they should be like a wildtype bird with barring and cream added. Well some of them showed black ticking everywhere, one had lacing showing on the breast (like some of the legbar hens from GFF), it looks like a mess being hidden behind barring that I want to improve over time.

I made some legbar x silver phoenix crosses just to try to get the color into that breed which I ran into some interesting results. I only kept a few pullets but they are cream colored in the hackle, I figure it is from dilutors.

At the end of the season, I turned my legbar hens loose with the rest of the flock to hatch one big last batch of sexlinks. They were running with a red columbian EE rooster and a splash laced red wyandotte rooster. The pullets were fair looking but nothing to brag about. I did keep one cockerel for awhile because he was so eye catching but he wasn't very gentleman like so he was sold last week. Here is a pic of him

Quote:
nice results, and you are right about the Silver phoenix, they seem to carry the cream diluter, some clean silver duckwing breeds carry diluters as to keep the silver color clean... would be cool to have autosexing cream phoenix breed...

Lol still talking about other breeds. I remember my barred cochin roo being light grey with head spot. Females black. But i dont remember my females having a head spot. When i get on a computer ill ask the cochin people about genetics and look for BARRED COCHIN CHICK PICS. SO I CAN STAY ON MY OWN TOPIC AND KNOW WHAT IM LOOKING AT.

Awe man! I guess I'd better stick to the forums! That book is going for $1,199.00, used!
Whoa. That's . . . steep.
I checked it out of my library last year. Maybe I better call them and let them know, if it hasn't been stolen already.

I'm not so lucky to have it at my library. :(

I guess I could have avoided all this debating if I would have said my males have all had a well defined head spot and the females have yet to have any spots

Quote:
Barred cochins should not be any different than Barred rock, except for type and feathers.. both genders show white head dots, its possible to sex them but its hardern than your everyday autosexing breeds

Quote:
`would be cool if this was possible, I mean Autosexing Barred rocks anybody?... would be a mayor break thru in genetics, I think a mutant Barring gene would be the culprit in this case

Back
Top Bottom