Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

JDXX, the roosters I killed that were between 4 and 5 months old were good and tender. I killed 2 of my pets this morning. They survived the table this long, just because they were among my favorites. They were 13 months old. More meat then the younger roosters, no doubt tougher. Delicious none the less.

I did fermented feed for a long time, I stopped for two reasons. One, I got tired of lugging food out to the barn, it was freezing outside so I had to keep it in the house. Number two, my girls stopped laying, except when I switched to Feather Fixer, which has higher protein. But, fermenting the feather fixer stunk so bad, because it already has probios in it.
Anyways, maybe milk and some meat bird feed? Or just the meat bird, and then see how much weight they put on.

Time to get it started again. You won't need to lug it anymore. Spring is here.
gig.gif
I've heard that you should separate the roosters from the flock and keep them in a batchelor pen. Less walking around and they won't fight much if the girls are not watching. Don't need Feather Fixer until fall. I bought a heavy duty wagon to pull my 5 gallon buckets around. Saves a lot of energy for an old lady.
lau.gif

I'm sticking with the feather fixer. Good protein, and all the healthy stuff that's in fermented, without the work. I won't start that up again. I've done it for almost two years, and they look the exact same right now, as six months ago on full time FF.

JDXX, the roosters I killed that were between 4 and 5 months old were good and tender. I killed 2 of my pets this morning. They survived the table this long, just because they were among my favorites. They were 13 months old. More meat then the younger roosters, no doubt tougher. Delicious none the less.

So does an older rooster have its "own" flavor? My wife seems pretty put off by the idea of eating older roosters, I know it is not from personal experience (yet) so I am just wondering how different they might taste compared to 4-5 month olds.

i like their color

Yeah we think they are going to be very pretty hens. I sold one and traded the other five we had for artichoke plants. I hope to be able to check in on them later and see how they turned out. I have broken up this combo for now but may revisit them in the future.

Last edited:
I have just brought 4 gold pencilled Hamberg hens from an auction to accompany my creamlegbar cockerel and my 3 other dream leg bar hens, would I be able to breed the Hamberg hens with the cream leg bar cockerel, if so how would they turn out?

Hey folks, been a while since I've been on here,,,,(last fall, hawks got all three of my little ones)....here's the next batch...
CCL over SG Dork, GLW, and BC Marans, Dork on left and GLW in back

BTW, Howdy Sally!!!

Hey folks, been a while since I've been on here,,,,(last fall, hawks got all three of my little ones)....here's the next batch...
CCL over SG Dork, GLW, and BC Marans, Dork on left and GLW in back

BTW, Howdy Sally!!!

Hi Stake! CUTIES!

I have just brought 4 gold pencilled Hamberg hens from an auction to accompany my creamlegbar cockerel and my 3 other dream leg bar hens, would I be able to breed the Hamberg hens with the cream leg bar cockerel, if so how would they turn out?

You can breed what ever your heart desires to your CL cockerel. Nicalandia will have to tell you how they will turn out

Quote:
The gold pencilled Hamburgs hen genetic make up is eb/eb > eb brown s+/- > sex linked recessive gold b+/- > sex linked recessive nonebarred Db/Db > Dark brown, Columbian Restrictor(black tailed Red) Pg/Pg > Pattern gene Ig+/Ig+ > dominant noneCream the Cream Legbar rooser genetic Make up is e+/e+ > Wildtype s+/s+ > Sex linked recessive gold B/B > Sex Linked Barring db+/db+ > none restricted pg+/pg+ > none penciled ig/ig > Cream This cross would produce birds with following genome.. Males, e+/eb > (look like wildytpe chipmunk strips) s+/s+ > (Gold) B/b+ > ( single barred) Db/db+ > Black Tailed Red(Gold/Red barred with single copy of barring) Pg/pg+ > No effect on Males as Pg/Pg, but femaels will show some form of penciling along with barring) Ig+/ig > No Cream, the birds will be gold/red

Back
Top Bottom