Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I will take a stab, but I am not an expert at feather colour genetics:

Your Parent Stock

Roos DNA? If he is a F1 sexlink, if so this is his possible parentage... depending on hatchery.

Red Sexlinks are Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires Roosters crossed with one of several different breeds Rhode Island Whites, White Plymouth Rocks, Delawares, and Silver-Laced Wyandottes are common.

So your roo should be sort of white looking with red: The "silver trait" found in hens of many, but not all, white-feathered varieties or breeds and some with silver lacing, when crossed with a male without that trait, the male chicks will be white and the female chicks will be the color of the rooster, (thus making sexing easy). The F1 Red Sexlinked roo gets the "silver trait" which makes them look white as chicks, then they mature to whitish birds with red...

So your roo might look something like this:

Now the Hen you crossed to is Cream Brabanter, so it should look something like this:

I believe the cream gene is recessive, so that is probably why no cream babies...

Now looking at the parents and the DNA chart (I saved from another thread on BYC).

Your roo passed a red gene & silver and the black spotting (mottled) is from the hen as is the black color in general.

Maybe someone can explain the Hens DNA better but I think the cream gene is "hiding" so you should get cream chicks by either Back Crossing the F1 boys to their mother or trying F1xF1 and a few chicks should be cream.

I hoped this helped a little.
smile.png
I am just starting to try and understand the color genetics myself. Each chick should carry the cream gene just not expressed.

Crazy request... I raise Jersey Giants and am a sucker for Blue Eggs... have a broody hen and an incubator full of what seem to be dud Blue Giant eggs -we are 3 days past what should be hatch date and this is not my first time hatching so I think the shipment went bad :( Searching for chicks to give my Jersey Giant Hen to raise and want blue egg layers. See I told you this was a crazy request! Anyone - any place near Antioch, CA with Cream Legbar chicks for sale? My husband dis-like the Americauna's voices so I thought I would give this a try! Had a friend with one or 2 Cream Leg bars and they do have some lovely blue eggs. I won't be raising them (Legbars... we raise Giants!), just want the blue eggs for personal use and my egg customers love the blues too!

To clarify, would like chicks 4 or 5 females for egg laying only. Let me know if you can help bail out my poor broody hen! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom