Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

more pics of my little mixed chick. The egg was sold as a batam olive egger but to me it looks like it has some cream Legbar mixed in?!? What do you think?

She looks exactly like my ambar hen. My ambar is from an EE x barred rock bred to EE hens, mine all came out silver like this hen. If they were breeding bantam olive eggers though, I'd say she is from a welsummer x easter egger because of the yellow legs. Other than the barring and yellow legs, she doesn't show much else of a legbar parent.

She looks exactly like my ambar hen. My ambar is from an EE x barred rock bred to EE hens, mine all came out silver like this hen. If they were breeding bantam olive eggers though, I'd say she is from a welsummer x easter egger because of the yellow legs. Other than the barring and yellow legs, she doesn't show much else of a legbar parent.
At hatch she/ he kind of looked like one, I'll attach a pic

I just looked up some pics and you're right it does look like a ambar, thanks

Hi everyone!
frow.gif
I'm not over here very often but had a question.

The white bird is a Cream Legbar X White Leghorn. In the UK it is called a Sapphire. Stunning birds. They are IDENTICAL to a White Legbar, including the crest, EXCEPT for leg color. Can anyone with genetic experience explain that to me? A Cream Legbar has yellow legs and white skin, a white leghorn has yellow legs and white skin, but when I cross them I get green legs. From my understanding green legs = yellow skin + slate legs but obviously that is not the case here.

Another interesting note: I had decided my boy although he seems to have some "tufts" must be uncrested, as I am having an occasional uncrested pullet in my keeper chicks. But as these offspring ARE crested he must carry at least one crested gene!

Hi everyone!
frow.gif
I'm not over here very often but had a question.

The white bird is a Cream Legbar X White Leghorn. In the UK it is called a Sapphire. Stunning birds. They are IDENTICAL to a White Legbar, including the crest, EXCEPT for leg color. Can anyone with genetic experience explain that to me? A Cream Legbar has yellow legs and white skin, a white leghorn has yellow legs and white skin, but when I cross them I get green legs. From my understanding green legs = yellow skin + slate legs but obviously that is not the case here.

Another interesting note: I had decided my boy although he seems to have some "tufts" must be uncrested, as I am having an occasional uncrested pullet in my keeper chicks. But as these offspring ARE crested he must carry at least one crested gene!
I will give this a try . White leghorn have a dermal inhibiter that works on melanin . So my guess is with 1 gene it did not inhibit the slate . As for the crest it may be more of a tassel . A longer feather trait that enhances the size of the crest . Maybe Nicalandia will see this and enlighten us .

I will give this a try . White leghorn have a dermal inhibiter that works on melanin . So my guess is with 1 gene it did not inhibit the slate . As for the crest it may be more of a tassel . A longer feather trait that enhances the size of the crest . Maybe Nicalandia will see this and enlighten us .

I may have figured out part of the mystery today, I forgot that some of my Legbar X Marans had hatched out white- apparently the recessive white in the Cream Legbar lines is the same recessive white gene that was carried by my Black Copper Marans roo at the time (he has since passed away). I don't remember hatching as many as I have running around but that would certainly explain the slate/green legs.

Hi

I've got a little white hen with the odd black fleck that I bought at auction described as an Araucana..... I'm in the UK so she has a tail and tufts...... but she lays little ivory eggs. She runs with my cream legbar cockerel.

Anyway, she managed to sneakily stash 14 of her eggs in a little nest up in the rafters and hatched all 14. 12 were black and 2 were white. Sadly one of the black ones died at 4 weeks old but the remainder are doing well. The black ones have all developed barring and the white ones are like their mother, having yellow legs and the odd tiny spot of black. Almost all have tufts (moustaches I call them) and a couple of the dark ones have a slight crest. (I wish I had some means of taking and posting photos, but I'm a technology dinosaur.)

Anyway, judging by their combs (they are 9 weeks now) I appear to have 5 or 6 males and of course they are much more friendly than the pullets. I was supposed to be steeling my heart to processing the males for meat but they are intent on sweet talking me out of it at the moment!.
I'm curious to know if the pullets will lay blue eggs? I did read somewhere on this thread that the blue egg laying gene passes down from the male, so I'm hoping hansom Harry, my cream legbar dad will have passed on that trait to them, even though their mother doesn't lay blue eggs.

My gut instinct is that Tasha isn't a pure Araucana, but I don't know enough about the breed to make that judgement. She's certainly flighty and quirky and broody and a brilliant mother with lots of natural instinct.

My first brood is certainly giving me a lot of pleasure and I now have a silky cross that appears to be going broody too. I'm intending to select the eggs that she sits on. I plan to give her some pure exchequer leghorn eggs and some pure cream legbar eggs, but I also have a RIR and a Blue Haze running with the legbar cockerel and wondered if anyone would recommend these hybrids and if the roo passes on the blue egg laying gene, would an RIR hybrid pullet from this be an olive egger?

Thanks in advance

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom