Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I just set my broody with 6 eggs from a cross between my Legbar rooster and a Red Star Marcy.

1. I chose the red star because she lays brown eggs towards the darker side so there is a good possibility of Olive Eggers
2. She laid 362 eggs in her first year and still only skipping a day every 3-4 weeks.
3. Want to see if the chicks are sex linked or not (don't want to use the word auto-sexing)
4. My kids just want to see Marcy's babies

Also under her are 3 x Legbar x RIR eggs. 1 Legbar x Black Australorp egg and 1 Legbar pullet egg (which is only 1.6 oz)

I also want to check with you guys to see if there is a study out there as to why Red Stars or some other production birds don't have a typical egg cycle. All my other breeds have a laying pattern where they start early morning, then progressively it becomes later in the day until they skip a day. Is there a gene that regulates that cycle which gets turned off in production breeds?

Whereas most production breeds (or atleast the best layers out of them) tend to consistently lay around the same time until they skip a day for some reason. For example Marcy lays within 30 minutes of sunrise (unless the nest is occupied) and the only days she has skipped is when she was sick, the coop changed or the nesting area was re-arranged. I have had other red stars but even those slightly progressed in terms of time until they skipped after 2-3 weeks.

I would be very interested in what the crosses look like. I have a Redstar from Meyers hatchery in Ohio (I think they call them golden buffs ) but she's a cross between a RIR roo and white rock hen. She has the best personality and lays an egg a day at 8:30 every morning since she started laying in May. I've thought of breeding her to my CL Roo. My thoughts are they will turn out white with a little barring? Has anyone else crossed a Red star? Any pictures?

I would be very interested in what the crosses look like. I have a Redstar from Meyers hatchery in Ohio (I think they call them golden buffs ) but she's a cross between a RIR roo and white rock hen. She has the best personality and lays an egg a day at 8:30 every morning since she started laying in May. I've thought of breeding her to my CL Roo. My thoughts are they will turn out white with a little barring? Has anyone else crossed a Red star? Any pictures?
Don't be fooled by the personality. They are only nice to humans and their siblings. Introduce a new hen or chick where they are alpha and the newcomer will be miserable for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:
Hi Folks:

I have a new chick...he/she is a CCL over an Olive egger....mom is CCL over BC Marans...wondered whether the white dot on the head says "boy"???
(broody is the mother of the Olive egger)

Hi Folks:

I have a new chick...he/she is a CCL over an Olive egger....mom is CCL over BC Marans...wondered whether the white dot on the head says "boy"???
(broody is the mother of the Olive egger)
Big not uniform white on the head is usually a boy. A small uniform dot can be a pullet but is often a boy too.

That looks like a cockerel pattern.

Great thread! I have a CCL x ameraucana rooster that I adore. Hopefully I'll be hatching his first eggs sometime this winter. I'll keep you all posted when I get some babies. They will all be 1/4 CCL mixed with other breeds including ameraucana, Plymouth rock, and hopefully black copper marans since I'd like to produce some Olives. :)

Here is his baby pic. He's a bit older and bigger now.

Has anyone crossed a CCL with a Cochin or bantam cochin? Or a mottled bird? I've got a little mottled bantam cochin running with my girls and am thinking about hatching some just for fun. Just wondering if it's been done and if anyone has pictures...

I had a CCL Roo over blue and black cochins. I have one female from that cross. I'll get a pic for you tomorrow. She's a dark blue, with some barring on her neck. I had two males from that cross, and they were very pretty.

Back
Top Bottom