Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I had a CCL Roo over blue and black cochins. I have one female from that cross. I'll get a pic for you tomorrow. She's a dark blue, with some barring on her neck. I had two males from that cross, and they were very pretty.

That'd be great! Thank you.

What color egg does she lay?

She's only 4 months, and I am eagerly waiting for her first egg :) same for the ccl wyandotte mix, which is turning into a beatiful girl. I think they both may end up with similar colored eggs.

Has anyone crossed a CCL with a Cochin or bantam cochin? Or a mottled bird? I've got a little mottled bantam cochin running with my girls and am thinking about hatching some just for fun. Just wondering if it's been done and if anyone has pictures...
sort of
CL roo x Mille Fleur Leghorn hen
here's the cockerel offspring (thanks to a broody who took any eggs dropped off in her nesting box)

this is a response to the white sappire researcher who got thier work stolen. i dont know how i missed the quote the first time=sorry

omg--i feel so bad about your loss from those nasty thieves!!!
is their any birds you may have farmed out to someone you could work with?
i do love my chickens and thought about doing what you call a white sapphire and did wonder about how long it would take
for the blue gene to show up.

i have a question you may be able to answer---would a glossier white egg layer make a crisper blue color than a matte white egg layer?
i seem to have heard somewhere it may make a difference.
good luck getting started again.maybe some one with a similiar project would be willing to do a little collaboration.
tammy
dropping in to your conversation
When I compare my shiny blue Ameraucana eggs to the more matte blue Cream Legbar eggs, I do think the sheen makes a difference.
I have been selecting hatching eggs based on sheen, working towards shinier eggs.
Some CL's do seem to have more of a waxy appearance, less matte.

sort of CL roo x Mille Fleur Leghorn hen here's the cockerel offspring (thanks to a broody who took any eggs dropped off in her nesting box)
I was just talking about this cross today. Greenfire got some fiftyfive flowery hens in according to their site. Other than the legbars, I wanted to recreate them and I had planned on doing a legbar x mille fluer leghorn cross to get there.

I was just talking about this cross today. Greenfire got some fiftyfive flowery hens in according to their site. Other than the legbars, I wanted to recreate them and I had planned on doing a legbar x mille fluer leghorn cross to get there.
I don't need this roo, but he has such interesting markings, and he seems to like people better than the other roosters he is housed with...

I don't need this roo, but he has such interesting markings, and he seems to like people better than the other roosters he is housed with...

My legbar roo attacked my leg yesterday. I was carrying a pullet who was putting up a fight, and he jumped at me. It seemed like he was trying to protect her, but it didn't go over very well with me. My other roo has never (nor will he ever I hope) been aggressive towards me. I kicked him as well as I could. He looked at me like "Did I just get kicked?" and then wandered off slowly. I got him and my legbars from a woman who warned me to keep an eye on him. None of the chickens she sold me are well socialized with people :( Having a rooster that likes people is pretty important in my opinion.

My legbar roo attacked my leg yesterday. I was carrying a pullet who was putting up a fight, and he jumped at me. It seemed like he was trying to protect her, but it didn't go over very well with me. My other roo has never (nor will he ever I hope) been aggressive towards me. I kicked him as well as I could. He looked at me like "Did I just get kicked?" and then wandered off slowly. I got him and my legbars from a woman who warned me to keep an eye on him. None of the chickens she sold me are well socialized with people :( Having a rooster that likes people is pretty important in my opinion.
It seems that Legbar roosters are a hit or miss with personalities. Some seem like horrible little creatures lol while others are much better and less suspicious of people walking around. I have had my share of both. I cull for bad personalities. If he is your only CL male you can breed him and then try to keep one of his hopefully better looking and better mannered sons.

sort of
CL roo x Mille Fleur Leghorn hen
here's the cockerel offspring (thanks to a broody who took any eggs dropped off in her nesting box)

Those sure are some pretty colors!

dropping in to your conversation
When I compare my shiny blue Ameraucana eggs to the more matte blue Cream Legbar eggs, I do think the sheen makes a difference.
I have been selecting hatching eggs based on sheen, working towards shinier eggs.
Some CL's do seem to have more of a waxy appearance, less matte.
One of my CCL girls lays a matte egg; the other has a nice sheen to it. I think the shine makes the blue brighter.

Back
Top Bottom