Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Sadly I just lost my CCL Rooster to a hawk last week. While I still may get another CCL I've been toying with the idea of getting Black Copper Marans Rooster for my small flock. From reading I understand the BCM Roo over a CCL hen will produce a sex link chick at birth? Can someone confirm this and tell me how easy it would be to determine the sex from this combination? Any pictures of chicks would be very helpful. I have a BCM hen and I like her personality, I'd hope the Roo would be similar. I also understand the combination produces "olive" eggs?

I'm in the San Francisco bay area (Union City) so if there is anyone local who has a youngish CCL or BCM roo they are selling or rehoming could you send me a private message?

Thanks,
Deborah

Yes, you will get sexlinks from marans rooster over ccl hens.

I have four CCL cockerels that are 12 weeks old and live in Woodland. I could meet you in Vacaville.

Thanks,

Vacville is a bit too far for me to drive but thanks for the offer and information.

Deborah

You never know how far chicken owners will go for a breed. Someone suggested that I drive to Arizona to get some Blue Australorps. That is too far for me....

My Oldest DD lives in the East Bay so if you do want one of them we could arrange something.

They will be going to freezer camp soon.

I keep a CCL hen with my Splash Marans to make the best OE ever!
Female offspring are blue, usually laced, usually with a little crest. (Dudes are blue with a white spot on the head, so auto-sexing! Yippee!)
And check out the egg color! I tried Wheaten Ameraucanas first, but the egg color was totally random in the F1 pullets. With this cross, so far the olive green is pretty standard in the two batches I've hatched.

Here is Penny, my current POL pullet from the Splash Marans roo x CCL hen cross.

Female offspring are blue, usually laced, usually with a little crest.  (Dudes are blue with a white spot on the head, so auto-sexing!  Yippee!) 
And check out the egg color!  I tried Wheaten Ameraucanas first, but the egg color was totally random in the F1 pullets.  With this cross, so far the olive green is pretty standard in the two batches I've hatched.

Here is Penny, my current POL pullet from the Splash Marans roo x CCL hen cross.

Beautiful eggs! It must be fun to collect those. I will be crossing my Black Copper Marans roo with a CCL hen so I'm hoping for similar results.

Your hen there turned out very pretty as well. I'm suffering chicken math in a big way....I know I will be collecting EEs as well.....*sigh*

Female offspring are blue, usually laced, usually with a little crest. (Dudes are blue with a white spot on the head, so auto-sexing! Yippee!)
And check out the egg color! I tried Wheaten Ameraucanas first, but the egg color was totally random in the F1 pullets. With this cross, so far the olive green is pretty standard in the two batches I've hatched.

Beautiful eggs and I love the crest! :
love.gif

Got an egg from one of my mixes, either Wyandotte cream or Cochin cream..I think, given the age, it's the Wyandotte mix. Mostly because Cochins and Creams are such late layers. They're a much darker green then I thought they'd be, I'm very happy with them. Patiently waiting for the Cochin mix to show me her colors.

Thank you, Kaylish and Cherinbahamas! This girl, Penny, is a huge pest thanks to my nieces and nephew, but at least will try anything that I put down for them first and tell everyone that it is good to eat! She always wants up in the lap and MORE TREATS. I've told them no treats for any birds at this point as she is getting quite insistent and obnoxious. I can't wait to see her egg...hoping for the same cool green as the previous ones. I need to make sure I always hatch a few of this cross every six months or so, as it is a great color to have in the eating eggs I sell.

Got an egg from one of my mixes, either Wyandotte cream or Cochin cream..I think, given the age, it's the Wyandotte mix. Mostly because Cochins and Creams are such late layers. They're a much darker green then I thought they'd be, I'm very happy with them. Patiently waiting for the Cochin mix to show me her colors.

Was the Wyandotte the roo or the hen? Is the lacing of the Wyandotte a " barring"?
Was there any sex link trait in that mix?
I need to suck up all this info for spring time...:)
The eggs are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom