Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Was the Wyandotte the roo or the hen? Is the lacing of the Wyandotte a " barring"?
Was there any sex link trait in that mix?
I need to suck up all this info for spring time...:)
The eggs are beautiful.

Cream roo over Wayandotte hen...I can't remember for sure, but I think we knew pretty quick she was a female. I'd have to go back over photos and see if I have one of them as chicks. I only ended up with one hatching, and lucked out with the girl. She's really beautiful.

Was the Wyandotte the roo or the hen? Is the lacing of the Wyandotte a " barring"?
Was there any sex link trait in that mix?
I need to suck up all this info for spring time...:)
The eggs are beautiful.

Cream Legbar male x Silver Laced Wyandotte female will produce sexlink chicks. That is because the CL is gold based and the SLW silver based. This cross creates a Red Sexlink.

I was given a CL cross. I spoke to the breeder and was told it was the result of a CL roo placed into a pen with Lakevelders and Brahmas. I am not familiar with either of those birds really. My girl is near POL and had no Brahma-type feathering on legs (I thought feathering was dominant?) and has a pea comb. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I was given a CL cross. I spoke to the breeder and was told it was the result of a CL roo placed into a pen with Lakevelders and Brahmas. I am not familiar with either of those birds really. My girl is near POL and had no Brahma-type feathering on legs (I thought feathering was dominant?) and has a pea comb. Any thoughts?

I would say Brahma..The bright yellow legs and pea comb. If with the Lakenvelder I would assume it should have a single comb.

Hi HaTHOR. I suspect that the Brahma/Lakenvelder pen was not full of purebreds. I do have Brahmas including CLxBrahma crosses, but no experience with the Lakenvelders other than photos.

You are correct that the feathered legs is a dominant trait. Even my F2 grandchicks of Brahmas have some feathering. Here is a picture of a CL x Dark Brahma--you could tell he was a boy at hatch since his down was diluted from the Silver. I think the amount of shank feathering he has is about average for a first generation cross:

I looked up the Lakenvelder here and it says they are indeed single combed with white skin, dark shanks and only weigh about 4 pounds. I would expect this pullet to have a single comb and her legs to be willow or darker--not the bright yellow we are seeing if she were a pure Lakenvelder x CL.

One thing to look at is her weight. Brahmas are quite hefty birds so if she is large then she is probably Brahma mix x CL, and if she is small then Lakenvelder mix x CL. Brahmas lay a tan/brown egg and the Lakenvelders a tinted/white egg so another tell might be her egg color when she starts laying. Pastel blue/green would be Lakenvelder, the Brahma mix should yield a light olive color.

She's pretty whatever she is a mix of! What's her personality like? Brahmas are pretty chill birds and the above boy is very friendly like his Brahma mom (unlike the roadrunner Cream Legbars!).

It is likely crossed to a brahma and she would have two recessives for clean legs.

For the same reason, she could lay white egg shell color eggs.

Ok, so she was definitely from pure parents--a side project on the part of the breeder who I have dealt with for some time and has good standards. She says the girl must be Brahma cross too. Next question: in my olive egger project, will her barring from the CL genetics carry through to create sex links with FBCMs? What about crossed with pure CLs? FYI: All the eggs hatched from this project that produced her were sex linked at hatch. Wishing I could tag Nicalandia on this one!

Last edited:
Hi HaTHOR. I suspect that the Brahma/Lakenvelder pen was not full of purebreds. I do have Brahmas including CLxBrahma crosses, but no experience with the Lakenvelders other than photos.

You are correct that the feathered legs is a dominant trait. Even my F2 grandchicks of Brahmas have some feathering. Here is a picture of a CL x Dark Brahma--you could tell he was a boy at hatch since his down was diluted from the Silver. I think the amount of shank feathering he has is about average for a first generation cross:

I looked up the Lakenvelder here and it says they are indeed single combed with white skin, dark shanks and only weigh about 4 pounds. I would expect this pullet to have a single comb and her legs to be willow or darker--not the bright yellow we are seeing if she were a pure Lakenvelder x CL.

One thing to look at is her weight. Brahmas are quite hefty birds so if she is large then she is probably Brahma mix x CL, and if she is small then Lakenvelder mix x CL. Brahmas lay a tan/brown egg and the Lakenvelders a tinted/white egg so another tell might be her egg color when she starts laying. Pastel blue/green would be Lakenvelder, the Brahma mix should yield a light olive color.

She's pretty whatever she is a mix of! What's her personality like? Brahmas are pretty chill birds and the above boy is very friendly like his Brahma mom (unlike the roadrunner Cream Legbars!).
I agree

Ok, so she was definitely from pure parents--a side project on the part of the breeder who I have dealt with for some time and has good standards. She says the girl must be Brahma cross too. Next question: in my olive egger project, will her barring from the CL genetics carry through to create sex links with FBCMs? What about crossed with pure CLs? FYI: All the eggs hatched from this project that produced her were sex linked at hatch. Wishing I could tag Nicalandia on this one!
if she is the product of a CL rooster over any hen, then she is Barred herself and would be usefull on the French Black Copper Marans,but that hen does not look barred to me.. her hackeles are too solid to e barred

Edit.. just went back and looked at other CL Hybrid females and they seem to lack barring too, but that the nature of their Faint barring on females.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom