Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Will a CCL Rooster over a Welsummer hen produce a sex link chick (white spot on male's head)? Does anyone have any pictures of that cross or the color of eggs it produces? I'd think the eggs would be olive?

Thanks,
Deborah
Quote:
If you breed the F1 hens back to the legbar roo, will the F2's be autosexing or am I thinking wrong? I was thinking about breeding my rhodebar roo to welsummer hens and back breeding . I was also going to do that with the legbar roo with welsummer hens and back breeding with roo. I know one thing, Those will be some dark olive eggs. I might be very wrong so please let me know.

Last edited:
Some crele

EE/Ameraucana project hens .
I could be possible that the EE part of your project hens have a feathered leg gene from somewhere in there back ground.

But yes you are correct that there has been a mention or 2 that their CL had a tiny feather stub show up.

Jerseyse

I have a beautiful pullet - that had feathers on shanks. Just like you, I'm not a fan of feather legs. They are diminishing as she is getting older -- She is a result of my first inbreediing/linebreeding - and my conjecture is that female had a recessive feather-leg gene passed to her son. the two bred together produced the feather shanks.

She is just 23 weekis old.

I will breed her to the male I plan to use for breeding this year. If ANY of the resulting chicks have feather shanks - then I will know he carries the recessive. But he is unrelated on the female side to the wone with feather shanks - so using him will help eliminate that entirely from my flock, in the event that none of the chicks have feather shanks. Of course all those chicks that result from the pairing will have a recessive gene from their mother and will need to go to homes where the owners just want eggs or pets and not CLs to breed.

Last edited:
I think feathers/stubs on the shanks are a thing that happens in lots of breeds of chickens that aren't supposed to have them. I was reading an old, maybe the 1915, APA standard book and was looking through a section about show prep (or something like that) for Wyandottes and it was discussing how you should make sure to pluck any feather stubs on the legs before showing. So it must be something that pops up now and then across the board?

Not that it really adds anything to this discussion but I thought it was interesting!

Last edited:
At least you don't have hens with spurs. I have welsummers, silver laced hens, and legbars all from three different breeders and all from three different states. All the same age within a week apart and not even a year old. Just glad not all of them has spurs.

I am wondering if it is related to the 19 percent protein feed I feed them.

Last edited:
I think feathers/stubs on the shanks are a thing that happens in lots of breeds of chickens that aren't supposed to have them. I was reading an old, maybe the 1915, APA standard book and was looking through a section about show prep (or something like that) for Wyandottes and it was discussing how you should make sure to pluck any feather stubs on the legs before showing. So it must be something that pops up now and then across the board?

Not that it really adds anything to this discussion but I thought it was interesting!
Hey there BuffyBS - I think it adds a lot to the conversation! Thanks for the insights. :O)

At least you don't have hens with spurs. I have welsummers, silver laced hens, and legbars all from three different breeders and all from three different states. All the same age within a week apart and not even a year old. Just glad not all of them has spurs.

I am wondering if it is related to the 19 percent protein feed I feed them.
If I am remembering correctly from reading an APA SOP - spurs on hens are 1/2 point off their total score. I think it may be more common in UK than here in USA -- and Legbar is a UK breed -- I have a CL with spurs. (She is pictured on the CL Club's photo Gallery in slide 17) It's 02 Galley of Photos in the left navigation bar.

Also, I have to say -- although when she first started laying she did tie for being a prize layer in one of the Club's contests, however, she isn't laying well now - and when she molts she starts in July and she ends in January-- she is not a very 'thrifty' hen, she isn't very friendly -- why do I keep her?--- small comb and wattles and lower tail angle -- both of which I want in my flock. But she is 'on porbation' --

I'm thinking that the spurs are genetic - but perhaps the nutrition can contribute to their size. On game hens they are considered an advantage.

If you breed the F1 hens back to the legbar roo, will the F2's be autosexing or am I thinking wrong?  I was thinking about breeding my rhodebar roo to welsummer hens and back breeding . I was also going to do that with the legbar roo with welsummer hens and back breeding with roo. I know one thing, Those will be some dark olive eggs. I might be very wrong so please let me know. 

The pullets from a legbar/rhodebar x welsummer are 'pure' for autosexing so they will breed like a legbar. Breed them to a rhodebar/legbar male and all offspring will be autosexing

Back
Top Bottom