Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Middle cockerel is double barred . Not Legbar hybrids but the only example I have . Note darker color and some feathers without barring on the single barred .
OK, so there IS a difference between single and double barred. Thank you. My original thinking had been that a female would look double barred since even though she only has the single gene, she doesn't have a normal non-barring gene competing with it, like a single bar male would.

OK, so there IS a difference between single and double barred. Thank you.

My original thinking had been that a female would look double barred since even though she only has the single gene, she doesn't have a normal non-barring gene competing with it, like a single bar male would.

Yes females are darker due to one barring gene . This is what makes auto sexing possible in CL . The male chicks are lighter due to 2 barring genes . In barred rock it is semi auto sexing due to black not showing lighter .

Yes females are darker due to one barring gene . This is what makes auto sexing possible in CL . The male chicks are lighter due to 2 barring genes .
Thank you for the lesson. I appreciate learning things little by little as they come up.

Sooo, when we are talking auto sexing in CLs, I thought we were looking for head spots on males vs. eyeliner and chipmunk stripes with no head spot in females. But we should be looking for darkness too? How important is the darkness to a chick being female? Could a female be as light as a male, as long as she has no head spot, and she has eye liner and chipmunk stripes? Or does the lighter color automatically mean male?

I have 2 chicks that just hatched. CCL roo x RIR and CCl x Buff Orp. Now if they are males, will they begin to show barring as they age? Fairly new to this. They both have eyeliner and the RIR has a faint stripe down the back

Last edited:
I have 2 chicks that just hatched. CCL roo x RIR and CCl x Buff Orp. Now if they are males, will they begin to show barring as they age? Fairly new to this. They both have eyeliner and the RIR has a faint stripe down the back

With the CL being the rooster all chicks will be barred . So no reliable sexing here as all are single barred .

Thank you for the lesson. I appreciate learning things little by little as they come up.

Sooo, when we are talking auto sexing in CLs, I thought we were looking for head spots on males vs. eyeliner and chipmunk stripes with no head spot in females. But we should be looking for darkness too? How important is the darkness to a chick being female? Could a female be as light as a male, as long as she has no head spot, and she has eye liner and chipmunk stripes? Or does the lighter color automatically mean male?
Regarding Cream Legbar females.... according to the chick-down descriptions on the Brit SOP -- the females ARE supposed to have a white head spot. This is really confusing to beginners who aren't familiar with Cream Legbars..or haven't bothered to read the UK standard..... the female has a neat sliver inside her definite V on the forehead. the male has what I call a bigger splotch -- and the chipmunk stripes are more diffused and the V on the head -- not definite like the female -- Real Cream Legbar specific advanced autosexing -- but I did see one example where a female was being mis-identified because the folks involved didn't realize that females can have a touch of white .....

Regarding Cream Legbar females.... according to the chick-down descriptions on the Brit SOP -- the females ARE supposed to have a white head spot. This is really confusing to beginners who aren't familiar with Cream Legbars..or haven't bothered to read the UK standard..... the female has a neat sliver inside her definite V on the forehead. the male has what I call a bigger splotch -- and the chipmunk stripes are more diffused and the V on the head -- not definite like the female -- Real Cream Legbar specific advanced autosexing -- but I did see one example where a female was being mis-identified because the folks involved didn't realize that females can have a touch of white .....
Good description.

I slipped 4 "Creamsicle" (Silkie male X CL female) blue eggs under my broody Cochin just now. If there is another laid tomorrow I will give her that one also. Im excited to see this cross. Now lets hope they are fertile.

Last edited:
I slipped 4 "Creamsicle" (Silkie male X CL female) blue eggs under my broody Cochin just now. If there is another laid tomorrow I will give her that one also. Im excited to see this cross. Now lets hope they are fertile.
I was thinking about using a CL male to a silkie female. I would love small blue eggs as well. The neighbor has a frizzle who lays an drab olive egg. It is very small and cute.

Back
Top Bottom