Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

This chick is from a black Silkie roo x Cream Legbar...
I need to take new pics, her feathers are coming in smooth and super soft...

Precious!!! Yes please post some more pics!!

Can't wait to see them!!

I have to confess that I just tracked down a Silkie breeder and I am traveling over 2 hours each way on Saturday to go pick up some chicks so I can try creamsicles. I seriously have a problem and need an intervention. Sigh.
This is the wrong place to ask for an intervention lol.

Im driving 2hrs each way on my end to pick up Quality Standard Barred Plymouth Rock hatching eggs next weekend
big_smile.png
She is even super nice and is driving an extra 1.5hours each way on her end to meet me. Serious business trying to avoid the hazards of shipping lol.

Last edited:
This is the wrong place to ask for an intervention lol.

Im driving 2hrs each way on my end to pick up Quality Standard Barred Plymouth Rock hatching eggs next weekend
big_smile.png
She is even super nice and is driving an extra 1.5hours each way on her end to meet me. Serious business trying to avoid the hazards of shipping lol.
I am driving almost 3 hrs each way to pick up these beauties. Sorry I have been boasting them on every forum possible, I need to stop!

Thank you for the lesson. I appreciate learning things little by little as they come up.

Sooo, when we are talking auto sexing in CLs, I thought we were looking for head spots on males vs. eyeliner and chipmunk stripes with no head spot in females. But we should be looking for darkness too? How important is the darkness to a chick being female? Could a female be as light as a male, as long as she has no head spot, and she has eye liner and chipmunk stripes? Or does the lighter color automatically mean male?

Quote:
you can Also add the Fact that some CL lines also have "Dark" males, when you add that to the fact that females also may show a well defined headspot, this will make sexing dificult for the untrained eye, while some males can be as dark as females their headspot its very large and will extende to the back of the head..

here I modified this picture to show how some males can be quite dark(these males are double barred so the heterozygous barring vs Homozygous barring is out of the question)

can you tell me which on is the Male? I only changed the male? I didnt change the male body color or stripes

Edit. just to show how the unaltered pic looks like so you can tell how dark the males can get

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicKat

Regarding Cream Legbar females.... according to the chick-down descriptions on the Brit SOP -- the females ARE supposed to have a white head spot. This is really confusing to beginners who aren't familiar with Cream Legbars..or haven't bothered to read the UK standard..... the female has a neat sliver inside her definite V on the forehead. the male has what I call a bigger splotch -- and the chipmunk stripes are more diffused and the V on the head -- not definite like the female -- Real Cream Legbar specific advanced autosexing -- but I did see one example where a female was being mis-identified because the folks involved didn't realize that females can have a touch of white .....
you can Also add the Fact that some CL lines also have "Dark" males, when you add that to the fact that females also may show a well defined headspot, this will make sexing dificult for the untrained eye, while some males can be as dark as females their headspot its very large and will extende to the back of the head..

here I modified this picture to show how some males can be quite dark(these males are double barred so the heterozygous barring vs Homozygous barring is out of the question)

can you tell me which on is the Male? I only changed the male? I didnt change the male body color or stripes

Edit. just to show how the unaltered pic looks like so you can tell how dark the males can get

That was the one I guessed! (Before I scrolled down far enough to see the second photo.) I decided based on how his back stripe only has the wide middle band of black, but where the females also had well defined white and black stripes to the sides of the main middle band, the male just has a little bit of white, and no outer black stripes. Overall that makes his back more smudgy looking.

Thank you for teaching me about the pure legbars, even though this is the Hybrid thread. I imagine these traits would be less defined in the hybrids that retain the autosexing.

Well, after I aced your little quiz, I went and looked at my three in the brooder to see how the stripe on the back of my male matched up with yours. I was pleased to be able to tell that he also has the thick dark stripe down the middle of the back, and no outer thin black stripes. He has the more smudgy looking back. I'm often mixing him up with my lightest female, because they are the same shade, and they are getting wing feathers that mostly cover up their backs now. But when I parted her wings, I could see very well that she has the middle stripe, the white on the sides of that, and then the two thin dark stripes on the sides of the white.

So it was nice to have some "book learning", and then also be able to test it out in real life. :)

OK, now, do all autosexing breeds have the head spot on males and the well defined chipmunk stripes on the back of the females? I'm thinking of Welsummers. They must be similar in pattern, right? Those are the only two autosexing breeds I know of so far.

Back
Top Bottom