Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

So I bought some silkies to make Creamsicles but hmmmmm… they're a little weird. I'm starting to wonder how they'll get along with my CLs once I try to mix them. I'm afraid the CLs will decide they're freaky weird aliens from outer space and eat them. And frankly, I'm not convinced the silkies are all that smart. They seem so delicate!!! I have them ensconced in their own special coop and one fell off the ramp.
roll.png
For those of you with CLs and silkies, do they mix well in a big flock or do you have to protect the silkies more than other breeds?

What have I done?
hu.gif
I am telling you I need an intervention.

So I bought some silkies to make Creamsicles but hmmmmm…  they're a little weird.  I'm starting to wonder how they'll get along with my CLs once I try to mix them.  I'm afraid the CLs will decide they're freaky weird aliens from outer space and eat them.  And frankly, I'm not convinced the silkies are all that smart.  They seem so delicate!!!  I have them ensconced in their own special coop and one fell off the ramp.   :rolleyes:   For those of you with CLs and silkies, do they mix well in a big flock or do you have to protect the silkies more than other breeds?

What have I done?  :confused:  I am telling you I need an intervention.

My silkies are above my brahmas in pecking order. Mine are demons

So I bought some silkies to make Creamsicles but hmmmmm… they're a little weird. I'm starting to wonder how they'll get along with my CLs once I try to mix them. I'm afraid the CLs will decide they're freaky weird aliens from outer space and eat them. And frankly, I'm not convinced the silkies are all that smart. They seem so delicate!!! I have them ensconced in their own special coop and one fell off the ramp.
roll.png
For those of you with CLs and silkies, do they mix well in a big flock or do you have to protect the silkies more than other breeds?

What have I done?
hu.gif
I am telling you I need an intervention.

I keep my SIlkies in a separate pen. They live with 2 Cream Legbar pullets and the Spitzhauben jump their fence to visit the SIlkies daily. The Silkies are bossy and mean and top of the pecking order of just the breeds I mention that I allow to mingle. They do need to be with more docile breeds because they cant e see as well due to the large crests and also because of the vaulted skull it could be dangerous if they were with more aggressive breeds.

What way are you doing the cross, CL male over Silkie hens or Sillkie male over Cream Legbar hens? I don't know if I how safe it is for a CL male over the Silkie hens.

As for housing my Silkie coop is only about 6inches off the ground, they hop right in, no ramp. I also do not include a roost, they sleep on the coop floor in the shavings.

Well, if you can tell us the breeds of all the hens, someone may try to guess or at least rule out some.
The woman I bought them from said maybe RIR, but she doesn't know for sure since they didn't keep track of which hens they got which eggs from. They all hatched from brown eggs and I don't know what all the woman owned. I got them from craigslist I will be posting better pictures of them tomorrow.

The woman I bought them from said maybe RIR, but she doesn't know for sure since they didn't keep track of which hens they got which eggs from. They all hatched from brown eggs and I don't know what all the woman owned. I got them from craigslist I will be posting better pictures of them tomorrow.
Only pic#4 looks like might be, repeat might be from a RIR, the rest don't look like. They are pretty anyways and will lay you green, dark green or light Olive eggs if the CCL rooster was pure.

Thanks, I would've thought pic 3 since it has a reddish tinge. I don't know enough about chicken genetics to trust my own judgement though. The other three look very similar to my Wyandotte chicks, only they are slightly brown..

Mystery Chick:

I thought I mixed up my Legbar eggs with Legbar x EE hybrid eggs during my Easter HAL. But I had 3 chicks hatch exactly like this from what I thought were Legbar eggs. Can someone help me figure this out? Here is the picture of one of the chicks when it was a few days old and now at 3 weeks:

Here are the possibilities:

1. The eggs were not Legbar eggs and they were hybrid eggs from a CCL rooster x Wheaten Easter Egger.

Here are pictures of the possible mother as a juvenile.

Cons: No muffs on all 3 suspect chicks. Muffs on 2 other chicks that were confirmed EE hybrid eggs.

2. The Cream Legbar hen mated with my 17 week old CL x Red Star hybrid cockerel:

Here is a pic of the cockerel a few days before I collected the eggs. He had just started crowing that week and I did not think any of the girls were letting him near them.

3. Last but not the least, it is a White Sport Legbar and so are the other 2 siblings:

Father and Mother are possible siblings. They were hatched from eggs that came from the same flock so possibility of both having recessive white gene is very high. I am waiting on some eggs to hatch this weekened and next with 2 separate folks who got eggs from me to see if they hatch any more of these chicks.

Last edited:
Mystery Chick:

I thought I mixed up my Legbar eggs with Legbar x EE hybrid eggs during my Easter HAL. But I had 3 chicks hatch exactly like this from what I thought were Legbar eggs. Can someone help me figure this out? Here is the picture of one of the chicks when it was a few days old and now at 3 weeks:

Here are the possibilities:

1. The eggs were not Legbar eggs and they were hybrid eggs from a CCL rooster x Wheaten Easter Egger.

Here are pictures of the possible mother as a juvenile.

Cons: No muffs on all 3 suspect chicks. Muffs on 2 other chicks that were confirmed EE hybrid eggs.

2. The Cream Legbar hen mated with my 17 week old CL x Red Star hybrid cockerel:

Here is a pic of the cockerel a few days before I collected the eggs. He had just started crowing that week and I did not think any of the girls were letting him near them.

3. Last but not the least, it is a White Sport Legbar and so are the other 2 siblings:

Father and Mother are possible siblings. Their eggs came from the same flock so possibility of both having recessive white gene is very high. I am waiting on some eggs to hatch this weekened and next with 2 separate folks who got eggs from me to see if they hatch any more of these chicks.

The chick is beautiful! Hope its a Sport!

Back
Top Bottom