Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Sorry if this is a duplicate from the cream legbar thread but was advised that I might get answers here. I have a trio of CL's, the pullets are yet to be laying, but the young cockerel has been in with a mixed flock. I allowed one of my hens to sit on three white eggs (only have one male, and one leghorn so I know who is who when laying). The three eggs hatched today, so I am happy with fertility on this young lad . One was definitely yellow based and the other two were darker. Pictures are posted. Can someone explain the difference in these chicks? And no, there are no other males in the mixed flock. I haven't seen the two young pullet CL's in the nest boxes. I only set the three white leghorn eggs, I thought the leghorn/CL mix would make for good egg layers for next year. Here are pics of the leghorn female and the CL rooster. The female was supposed to be a SBEL, but looks more to me like a leghorn, she lays pure white eggs. She has faint splotches on her that are either bluish or grays in color. (and just to reiterate, the three chicks here have the same male and female pairing. No other roos in the pen). I am just amazed at the color differences.
My guess would be that the two darker chicks are little cockerels that inherited the auto sexing gene from your roo. And the white chick is a pullet that the white gene from the hen dominated the legbar colors. The white spots on the top of the heads of the darker chicks is a normal indication of a cockerel when breeding true legbars. Typically the pullets will look similar to those dark chicks with more defined chipmunk stripes but no white spot on the head. I think that if you keep breeding that roo with that hen you will always get white pullets, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm learning some about the genetics but far from being an expert. Lol

This is a buffbar (buff orpington rooster x legbar hen ) This is one of two slower maturing cockerels, I had eight roo's and four pullets from this cross. They were all very good looking birds and most of the cockerels matured very early, and here's the "but", they were some of the meanest, nastiest birds that I've ever had. All they wanted to do was fight with everything else. So they are now resting comfortably in the freezer. I kept the two slow maturing ones to see if they would have better attitudes. I'm going to try to post a picture of the pullets, but I seem to have trouble posting more than one picture at a time from my G5.

This is a black australorp rooster over a cream legbar hen, she is a very friendly girl that basically looks like a black australorp with a cute crest. The one unique thing about her is a very deep voice, it's very easy to tell her chattering from other birds. She was raised with several younger birds and played mother to the little ones that were about four weeks younger than her.

I need to get pics of my legbar mixes this year. My first pullet of the season is 1/2 rose comb legbar 1/4 autosexing EE, and 1/4 single comb legbar, she looks like a rose comb legbar with a beard. Then I have some chicks from my legbar x silver autosexing EE. I also have some 'meat-bars' which are from my big legbar male bred to a red ranger hen. Those chicks are already twice the size of their hatch mates at 2 weeks old. Might breed them together and see what happens. Their mother laid muscovy sized eggs and weighed 19 lbs before she had heart failure a few weeks back.

My boy Stew

My boy Gordon Bleu (when he was a chick he didn't have a big spot on his head but he did have several small white spots.)

and my girl Isabella

This is a black australorp rooster over a cream legbar hen, she is a very friendly girl that basically looks like a black australorp with a cute crest. The one unique thing about her is a very deep voice, it's very easy to tell her chattering from other birds. She was raised with several younger birds and played mother to the little ones that were about four weeks younger than her.
Did you hatch any boys from that cross as well? I am wondering if that would have been a sex-linked cross with all the boys being barred and the girls non-barred.

No she was the only one that came from that cross, I had several juvenile cockerels in with the legbar hens that I didn't think were mature enough to breed, and she was a total surprise. By process of elimination the only cockerel with black legs like her was the australorp. I have a couple more pics of some other crosses that came from that hatching. One is a barred rock cross cockerel and a pullet. Here's the cockerel

and this is the pullet

I'll have to get some more recent pics, if I can get them to sit still

This is a buffbar (buff orpington rooster x legbar hen ) This is one of two slower maturing cockerels, I had eight roo's and four pullets from this cross. They were all very good looking birds and most of the cockerels matured very early, and here's the "but", they were some of the meanest, nastiest birds that I've ever had. All they wanted to do was fight with everything else. So they are now resting comfortably in the freezer. I kept the two slow maturing ones to see if they would have better attitudes. I'm going to try to post a picture of the pullets, but I seem to have trouble posting more than one picture at a time from my G5.

That is is interesting and so odd! Were the pullets mean too? I have a Buff Orpington hen who is on the low end of the pecking order - i have always considered both breeds to be non-aggressive. Thanks for the heads up! I think I might avoid that mix. Too bad - those are beautiful birds1

Back
Top Bottom