Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I would say not but the Ameraucana Nazis folks would disagree. The call any blue egg shell layer an EE which causes a lot of confusion.

(EEs are actually a South American breed called improved Quechas that were imported into the US several times in the 1900's. Shhh, do not let the Ameraucana folds know but they pre date Ameraucanas...Shhh.)

EEs are not non standard ameraucanas. They are a breed of their own.

They know . Getting some to admit it is another matter . While the club history says we used Araucana and that is true to some extent . Anything with the blue egg gene was called Araucana at the time . What was really used is now called EE . No I am not one of the Ameraucana Police .
wink.png

They know . Getting some to admit it is another matter . While the club history says we used Araucana and that is true to some extent . Anything with the blue egg gene was called Araucana at the time . What was really used is now called EE . No I am not one of the Ameraucana Police .
wink.png
thumbsup.gif

Great information!

Quote: The BA x CCL pullets ranged from 3.4 pounds for 5.4 pounds at 7 months of age. The larger ones are normal sized. The smallest one I'm pretty sure is a Marek's carrier, so that may have stunted her growth. These pullets are from my "Marek's hatch" in which every chick died except the australorp crosses. By some miracle, they are resistant. I just bred them back to an Ameraucana x Legbar rooster. The chicks are 2 weeks old and I'm hoping they are also resistant.

The biggest pullet. She got a little Ameraucana mixed in there too (hence the beard). She lays beautiful green eggs.

ETA - My legbar hens are 3.4 - 4 pounds, and the rooster was 5 pounds. The father of the pullets had some Ameraucana mixed in with him and was around 6 pounds.

Last edited:
:thumbsup

Great information!

Well I was all kinds of confused now I feel like an idiot for contacting Privett lol. I told them that people were telling me that the chicks were actually EEs and they said no they're Ameraucanas. Then the people on the Ameraucauna thread told me that most hatcheries and feed stores don't know. I don't really care just wanted to know what I had now I'm kicking myself for selling one because they are becoming real beauties... One question though if the hatcheries had copyrights how was it reused??

Well I was all kinds of confused now I feel like an idiot for contacting Privett lol. I told them that people were telling me that the chicks were actually EEs and they said no they're Ameraucanas. Then the people on the Ameraucauna thread told me that most hatcheries and feed stores don't know. I don't really care just wanted to know what I had now I'm kicking myself for selling one because they are becoming real beauties... One question though if the hatcheries had copyrights how was it reused??

They are very nice. I like real EEs.

They are kind of fighting over the name. Some of them change the spelling slightly. The odd one to me is when breeders call a bird that does not fit into the SOP an EE. It is really a non standard ameraucana and is not like an EE from a hatchery. EEs from the hatchery are similar to Swedish flower hens but from south america.

@Mama Bay Sorry I was busy in my daughter's middle school graduation so could not answer your questions. I am not going to get into the Ameraucana/EE discussion and answer your simple questions:

1. The CCL x BA cross cockerels should be processed or rehomed. I think with your 9 cockerels, they are the least important. If they were pullets that would be a different story.
2. If you are selling them, yes they will have the blue gene, but will also inherit the white egg gene, so if they are crossed with a brown egg layer, you will get all spectrum of colors from light to dark green and some brown but no blues.

They are very nice. I like real EEs.

They are kind of fighting over the name. Some of them change the spelling slightly. The odd one to me is when breeders call a bird that does not fit into the SOP an EE. It is really a non standard ameraucana and is not like an EE from a hatchery. EEs from the hatchery are similar to Swedish flower hens but from south america.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!!!

I just had a batch of Austrolorp/Crested Cream Legbars hatch. I wing sexed them at a day old and based on the feather patterns(long-short-long-short) I thought I had all pullet. Many of them are doing that sparring/chest bump behavior now at 3 weeks old. Does anyone know if its a problem using the wing sexing technique with either the Austrolorps or the Legbars, or is that behavior often seen in young pullets as well as cockerels?

Back
Top Bottom