Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I just had a batch of Austrolorp/Crested Cream Legbars hatch. I wing sexed them at a day old and based on the feather patterns(long-short-long-short) I thought I had all pullet. Many of them are doing that sparring/chest bump behavior now at 3 weeks old. Does anyone know if its a problem using the wing sexing technique with either the Austrolorps or the Legbars, or is that behavior often seen in young pullets as well as cockerels?
What breed was the male/female in this cross? If the female was the CL in the cross than the chicks will be sex linked identifiable by a head spot or not. If the cross was the other way around than it is not a sex link cross and you will have to wait to see who is male or female.

I believe wing sexing only works for certain breeds that are bred to maintain that characteristic, I don't believe that is reliable in mixed breeds.

All chicks spar and chest bump, not just males.

I just had a batch of Austrolorp/Crested Cream Legbars hatch. I wing sexed them at a day old and based on the feather patterns(long-short-long-short) I thought I had all pullet. Many of them are doing that sparring/chest bump behavior now at 3 weeks old. Does anyone know if its a problem using the wing sexing technique with either the Austrolorps or the Legbars, or is that behavior often seen in young pullets as well as cockerels?
Wing sexing by feathers can work if the feather growth rate is sexlinked. It is a type of sexlinked trait. It does not usually work with Australorps.

If the Cockbirs was an Australorp and the hens were Cream Legbars, you will have black sexlinks--boys will be barred and have a white head spot. They look a bit like barred rocks. The girls will not be barred and will not have a white spot. You can miss it though. The barring will show up quickly and you can tell then.

Side comment to Easter Eggers. I got some EE pullets from McMurray today to add to my laying flock and they all look like little chipmunks. Different colors and markings but they all have those chipmunk stripes. A couple of them look remarkably like CL baby girls. I wonder if they're using CLs to make EEs. They look nothing like the first set of EEs I got from McM a couple of years ago.

Side comment to Easter Eggers. I got some EE pullets from McMurray today to add to my laying flock and they all look like little chipmunks. Different colors and markings but they all have those chipmunk stripes. A couple of them look remarkably like CL baby girls. I wonder if they're using CLs to make EEs. They look nothing like the first set of EEs I got from McM a couple of years ago.
If they have pea combs then no, not Cream Legbars.

Cream Legbars have straight combs as a breed characteristic. If they have a pea comb, they have araucana in them.
thanks..question..we're people trying to develop the pea comb cclb to avoid frostbite in the comb in winter? Also do the big single combs help them deal with summer heat better?

thanks..question..we're people trying to develop the pea comb cclb to avoid frostbite in the comb in winter? Also do the big single combs help them deal with summer heat better?

They probably were trying to help with frostbite-or to increase lay rate. Cream legbars to well in the heat. It may or may not be because of the comb. The hens do not have a huge comb though.

By the way, looking at the McM site, they say their EEs are Auracana/Ameraucanas. And they don't seem to even have Legbars.

I do think, if someone crossed an EE with a pea comb to a CL, wouldn't the pea comb be dominant over the single comb?

Back
Top Bottom