Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

barnie.gif
Genetics questions early on a Saturday!

It is not as simple as that:

See, rose comp is RRpp. Pea comb is rrPp and you can get it from different parents. You can have an Rrpp rose comb parent and then have pea comb offspring with the correct mating.

If you notice, single comb is Rrpp, so there is a single dominant R and you get straight.

http://www.extension.org/pages/6536...backyard-flocks:-an-introduction#.VapmmqRViko

This chart has a typo. Single comb is rrpp (if you look you can see the box they have it in even is under the rp x rp cross, so impossible to get Rrpp.

That was my cross. The SLW used to make some of the chicks was hatchery and she had a single comb, therefore all chicks from her also had a single comb. Most of the pics early on in the thread from me were of my CL x SL Cochin, also making chicks single combed. The chicks from my CL and rose combed SLW did have rose combs.

You are correct though that SLW should have rose combs and yes they are dominant and should make all chicks rose combed as well.

Yes, It is Walnut that is dominant, not rose comb. It is in the chart I posted back several posts.

Quoting myself and you since I was mistaken and I don t want to give false information.

I didn't follow what the chart was saying, my brain doesn't always wrap around genetics well :( But I do try my hardest to remember what others put out to us.

Have some 3 month old CCL's and can't wait for them to mature so I can begin crossing a few. Not sure I will reach the depths of some of you here! All of your post are interesting, knowledgeable and at times mind boggling. Thanks for all the research...I feel I'm really going to enjoy this breed. My hopes are to make some beautiful birds and eggs while retaining sexing traits. Only time will tell!!!

That was my cross. The SLW used to make some of the chicks was hatchery and she had a single comb, therefore all chicks from her also had a single comb. Most of the pics early on in the thread from me were of my CL x SL Cochin, also making chicks single combed. The chicks from my CL and rose combed SLW did have rose combs.

You are correct though that SLW should have rose combs and yes they are dominant and should make all chicks rose combed as well.

Ah I see that makes sense! Thanks for clarifying

barnie.gif
Genetics questions early on a Saturday!

It is not as simple as that:

See, rose comp is RRpp. Pea comb is rrPp and you can get it from different parents. You can have an Rrpp rose comb parent and then have pea comb offspring with the correct mating.

If you notice, single comb is Rrpp, so there is a single dominant R and you get straight.

http://www.extension.org/pages/6536...backyard-flocks:-an-introduction#.VapmmqRViko

Thanks for posting this, it's most helpful! So the comb type depends on 2 genes, correct?

Back
Top Bottom