Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Can someone help?
I have. Blue copper marns cockerel over cream legbar pullet.
Some chicks have an ever so slight dot on the head.
Not sure if they could be girls or not.
I have seen pure CL girls with a slight dot on the head before .
Anyone have pics of this cross to reference?
Thank you
smile.png
Can we get picks of your chicks?

Pure Cream Legbar pullets certainly DO often have tiny "pin prick" white spots. I've been meaning to get rid of a few Marans hens to replace with my non-crested CL hens to make sex-link Olive Eggers but I hate to part with any of my birds. I'd expect only those with a larger spot would be the boys...but I can't say for sure. Please keep us posted if no one who has done that exact cross speaks up. Pictures would be great to see.

The reason for the small dot on sex linked males is they only have 1 barring gene . A dosage effect . Females can only have 1 barring gene hemizygous .

Thank you all.
So here are two with smaller dots.
What concerns me is I've had a couple pure cl with tiny dots, but dark chipmunk striping.
These have no other discernible features. I appreciate the input

Thank you all.
So here are two with smaller dots.
What concerns me is I've had a couple pure cl with tiny dots, but dark chipmunk striping.
These have no other discernible features. I appreciate the input

There are no stripes because the black from the Marans is dominant over the stripes . Blue is a dilution of black . You should get 50% blue 50% black using the blue copper . They should show copper later .

I've heard though that with a Cream Legbar hen crossed to a Black-Copper Marans rooster you will see the sex-link white spot on your cockerel chicks. I was just uncertain if you might see a tiny white speck on the occasional pullet and I wasn't sure if the Blue-Copper would be as obvious. Here pictures make it pretty clear that these are boys with big head spots.

Last edited:
I would agree that those pictures show that they are boys with the size of head spots. It sure is nice to know what is what at that age so a person does not dump tons of money into them to find out that they are a male. I might have to get a maran to get that nice cross. Talk about some really nice looking olive eggs with that cross.
clap.gif

I misread your previous post. I would agree about the pinprick spot.

Last edited:
There are no stripes because the black from the Marans is dominant over the stripes . Blue is a dilution of black . You should get 50% blue 50% black using the blue copper . They should show copper later .

And so all of those chicks with the white on the head should be boys. I thought maybe it was a tiny pinprick of white only.

If they are pure legbar then that is the case. If they are a legbar cross then that is not always true.  

I've heard though that with a Cream Legbar hen crossed to a Black-Copper Marans rooster you will see the sex-link white spot on your cockerel chicks. I was just uncertain if you might see a tiny white speck on the occasional pullet and I wasn't sure if the Blue-Copper would be as obvious. Here pictures make it pretty clear that these are boys with big head spots.
rhank you all for the input .
So these were blue copper Marans cockerel over cream legbar pullet. I was told the cream legbar had to be female to do sex links.
Not the other way around. I can't confirm that.
But what kind of confused me is : why does the solid bird have to be male?
In a pure cl breeding, the male is barred.

rhank you all for the input .
So these were blue copper Marans cockerel over cream legbar pullet. I was told the cream legbar had to be female to do sex links.
Not the other way around. I can't confirm that.
But what kind of confused me is : why does the solid bird have to be male?
In a pure cl breeding, the male is barred.
This highlights the difference between "sex link" and "autosexing" genetics. In both case we are using the sex-linked barring characteristic, but they are working differently. With sex-link, the female parent is single barred (females are never double barred) and the male has no barring. In autosexing, the female is still single barred, but the male is double barred. In order to distinguish the chicks, the sexes must have a different number of barring alleles (1 and 0, or 1 and 2). If you reverse the sexlinked cross (male is barred) then both sexes of chicks get a single barred allele from him. If the female of that cross is not barred (solid black, for ex), she contributes no barring alleles and all the chicks are single barred, making the sexes look identical as chicks.

Autosexing is sometimes a matter of degree, depending on the other traits the chicks get that affect down color. Wild-type down (chipmunk chicks) is the best for autosexing, but some other modifiers, like wheaten and columbian can affect the wild-type colors and affect how sexable the chicks are. This is why a "pure" strain of Legbars or Rhodebars can produce chicks that are not easy to sex. It's not that they lost the barring or wild-type down, it's the other genes that muddy the waters, so to speak.

I realize this sounds confusing as I read it back to my self. Sorry, it's early, if you ask more questions maybe the next response will be a bit clearer.

Back
Top Bottom