Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

saw the question asked multiple times, but never could see if there was an answer posted. Will legbar rooster over golden cuckoo marans carry on with autosexing traits or vice versa GC marans roo over legbar hens?  What autosexing breeds can be crossed and still maintain autosexing characteristics?
since both are barred, offspring should be autosexing

So I have the Rees line of cream legbars from gff.
Some are Laying eggs that have a green tint.
If I cross these with a bcm, will I still get OE's?
I'm worried the green tint means only 1 blue egg gene not 2.
Can anyone give me input on these ?

Green tint is very common within CL. Regardless of blue or green tint, they should still have 2 copies of the blue gene. Crossing them to a BCM(as long as they carry the dark brown egg gene) should result in OE.

Green tint is very common within CL. Regardless of blue or green tint, they should still have 2 copies of the blue gene. Crossing them to a BCM(as long as they carry the dark brown egg gene) should result in OE.
thank you :) I was hoping that was the case

If there is a green tint to the egg, then there are some brown genes present in the CCLs. One of the problems you can get is suppressor genes for brown, so the CL may have some.

The eggs will be a darker green but may not be as dark as expected because of the suppressor genes and the brown genes that are inherited.

I want to see what you get!

I just got my first cl a roo 3 weeks old I also have some California whites about the same age what would the offspring look like I am hoping for better egg production than a reg cl and colored eggs

I just got my first cl a roo 3 weeks old I also have some California whites about the same age what would the offspring look like I am hoping for better egg production than a reg cl and colored eggs

Golly, I'm getting 6-7 eggs per week consistently out of my CLs already... Are you looking for bigger eggs?

(Just curious)

- Ant Farm

I didn't know they layed that much but I do want colored eggs

Mine are "hatchery" stock from My Pet Chicken (I think via Meyer), and they produce VERY well (even better than I expected). I'm not doing anything special with them. Some of the newer Rees lines and other lines don't produce as well, unfortunately (as there was so much focus on show-winning feathering, I suspect) - maybe you had heard that? The Cream Legbar breed was originally developed for very good production of blue eggs, with good auto sexing - you may wish to try a straight CL first before assuming you will need to do a hybrid. Just a thought - though if you already have a CL Roo, there's no harm in trying...
thumbsup.gif

- Ant Farm

Second from the left is a pullet I hatched this spring out of a crested legbar hen and gold duckwing EE. What I find really interesting about the cross is that a male from the same breeding looks nothing like her. She looks like a mossy Silver Ameraucana (my favorite of the Am colors) whereas the male looks like a legbar. She got the slate shanks and his are quite pale. You can see part of him in the upper right of this picture. I'll have to try to get a full shot of him sometime soon. He has a crest, muffs, beard and blown-out pea comb.

Back
Top Bottom