Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Question. I have bought crested cream leg bars from 3 diffrent people. I had one who was suposted to already be laying die on me within two weeks and mever laid an egg. The guy i got her from was like sorry. I often enjoy lighting $80 on fire. He didnt even offer me a partial refund or a replacement bird. I got a second one I got january 9th. She was about 3 months old. Today i went up she too was suddenly dead. She did have the funny dark colored poo stuck to her bottom like she had just went potty and died. It hasnt been cold latly here in cali. Only in the 50s at night. I do have a roo and female chicks that are babies there Are from a december hatch from another person. They are doing good. What would cause them to just up and die? Are they not as hearty of a burd or what? Now when my roo is older i have to find an adult one. I wanted to try my hand at breeding but nothing grand scale. For me to keep and to give some to my friend who is starting her own flock soonish.
Since you live in California, you can get a free necropsy from http://cahfs.ucdavis.edu/

If there is a lab close enough you can take the bird in. If not, call them and get information on shipping--see if they still let you use the UCD discounted Fedex account.

It is the best way to see what is going in. It is common for new birds to not be resistant to something at your place, like a lethal to some type of mareks.

Question. I have bought crested cream leg bars from 3 diffrent people. I had one who was suposted to already be laying die on me within two weeks and mever laid an egg. The guy i got her from was like sorry. I often enjoy lighting $80 on fire. He didnt even offer me a partial refund or a replacement bird. I got a second one I got january 9th. She was about 3 months old. Today i went up she too was suddenly dead. She did have the funny dark colored poo stuck to her bottom like she had just went potty and died. It hasnt been cold latly here in cali. Only in the 50s at night. I do have a roo and female chicks that are babies there Are from a december hatch from another person. They are doing good. What would cause them to just up and die? Are they not as hearty of a burd or what? Now when my roo is older i have to find an adult one. I wanted to try my hand at breeding but nothing grand scale. For me to keep and to give some to my friend who is starting her own flock soonish.
When you move hens to a new home they usually stop laying for a couple of weeks . Still if she was laying she should have laid a egg or two before stress stopped her . Once a egg in the process it has to finish .

There is such a thing as sudden death syndrome .

If you get a hen that is already laying it's not at all unusual for her to stop laying for a few weeks...even months due to the stress of a new situation. That same stress can also weaken their immune systems and cause them to be more likely to get sick. The fact that you've had two birds mysteriously die points to there most likely being a disease issue in your flock. It might be something mild that most birds can fight off but not these stressed birds. If I sell someone a healthy bird and a few weeks after they have had it the bird dies I don't offer any refund or anything either. It would be the same thing as a predator attack...especially if all my birds are still healthy.

Nope, I meant leghorn :) unfortunately, the only legbar pullet I had died a couple weeks ago :-( she didn't even have a chance to lay a pretty blue egg yet. That's another set of hatching eggs I'm going to buy, some more legbars! The breeder I got my pair from didn't have very good birds. Colors are off and both of my birds had white legs, while my friend's pullets from the same breeder flock had yellow.

I have Legbar eggs coming out of my ears if you are ever looking. Two good big breeder pens going right now. :) And just set an incubator full.

Quote:

He does look like he has mottling. If so, that could explain the spots on some legbar hens because mottling is recessive. I just got an idea for a new cross next year...
I have a few questions.

If CL hens with a few spots on them could be carrying the recessive mottling gene, wouldn't that eventually double up and cause mottled CLs on a regular basis? (My CL hen has a few white spots, and I wondered if it was from stress during molting, but the possibilities here could be interesting.)

I checked the kippenjungle site, since I am a real novice at chicken genes, and it appears that the mille fleur color is the mottling gene on a Columbian restricted buff chicken. So assuming my CLs do NOT carry the mottling gene, would mixing the two create barred wild-type chickens, or barred buff chickens? Or something completely different.

Hm, and if I used the MF Leghorn male over the CL hen, then I could get sex-linked barred chicks right?

FMP, did you ever do this cross? Nothing more from you came up when I searched the thread.

Thanks all!

Just wanted to say hi, and post a pic of one of my 3 week-old Russian Orloff/Cream Legbar.  

Looks like they are starting to get a few crest feathers like their mom!

Last edited:
This is an olive egger. Hen is a crested cream legbar. Rooster is a splash marans. Does the white spot on the head mean it is a cockerel? .
I'm following. I have some popping out now and couple of them look just like this. Dots aren't very big at all I have a blue copper marans boy over ccl girl. The girls are the new Jill Rees line and they were lighter chicks as babies than the first ccl lines. Not sure if that effects things

@ ForrestGump and chrissyr - I believe both of your crosses produce sex-linked chicks. I've crossed a black Isbar roo with CCL hens and got black sex-linked chicks. Since your roo is blue/splash, the chick's down may be more blue than black, but the characteristic white dot on the head should still be present for the boys. Both of the chicks in ForrestGump's post are boys IMO.

@ ForrestGump and chrissyr - I believe both of your crosses produce sex-linked chicks. I've crossed a black Isbar roo with CCL hens and got black sex-linked chicks. Since your roo is blue/splash, the chick's down may be more blue than black, but the characteristic white dot on the head should still be present for the boys. Both of the chicks in ForrestGump's post are boys IMO.
Thanks for the reply. The chick in my pics in the same chick. I only got one to hatch so I have nothing else to else to compare him to.

Back
Top Bottom