Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Hi all!! Very new to crested cream legbars, but am excited, none the less! I have a surprise BLRW cockerel that was sold to me as a pullet. He is gorgeous!! I'm considering keeping him to possibly breed with my crested cream legbars. I also have BLRWs, olive Eggers (one has a Silkie dad), a black sexlink, and a frizzle. Would it be worth it keeping him to see what babies could come of it?

I love BLRW, and the cockerels I've had are more like puppies - easy to train and very people friendly.

However, their body type is so different from CL I don't recommend cross breeding them; not a good look.  In my experience, the BLRW are large bodied but lay smallish eggs, so that's not a plus either.  The egg color is a light tan which crosses with the CL to create a minty green egg.  The offspring won't keep the lacing of the BLRW.  If he is Blue or Splash, you could/will get blue variations in the offspring.

Perhaps mating him with your BLRW hens is a better option?

Thanks for joining the CL community!

Sol2go has all valid points. But if you don't mind how all those mismatches might pan out, there is one more thing to consider. A cream Legbar hen, used with any non-barred male will give you sex-linked chicks. Which I think your BLRW would qualify. Or do you have any other non-barred rooster that might line up better with the cream Legbar hen's features?

Hi all!! Very new to crested cream legbars, but am excited, none the less! I have a surprise BLRW cockerel that was sold to me as a pullet. He is gorgeous!! I'm considering keeping him to possibly breed with my crested cream legbars. I also have BLRWs, olive Eggers (one has a Silkie dad), a black sexlink, and a frizzle. Would it be worth it keeping him to see what babies could come of it?

I had a rooster that was half Cream Legbar and half Black Star (Plymouth Barred Rock X Rhode Island Red) and crossed him to one of my Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Well, they weren't all laced but a few were. I actually kept one hen who is black laced red with a rose comb and a crest and she lays a green egg. I crossed her with my Lavender Orpington rooster and the first generation is solid black but in the next generation I'm trying for Lavender Laced, crested, rose comb, green egg laying breed.

At what age is my cream legbar roo fertle. He was born in december. And how long until he produces fertle eggs with a certain hen. Is a dog crate too small for him and a female?

My roo was fertile at 4 1/3 months. The hens were laying eggs just shy of 6 months. I'd have to see the size of the dog crate but I personally wouldn't keep a pair of chickens permanently in a space as small as the largest dog crate that I've ever seen.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom