Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

@Papa Brooder here are the first three... Two I know are BCM over cream legbar... The third may be too. Girls?

So I aim to make some chicks for my one (i have four) sister and she wants black hens that lay blue eggs. If I use this guy, a black/silver EE I hatched myself from a blue egg, with one or more of my pure Cream Legbar hens that lay blue, will I get what Im aiming for? (I do have a few black hens but the only one that lays blue is his sister)

With your EE, you'll never know what genetics he is carrying so hard to tell what feather color his chicks will have. True Silver Ameraucana hens actually have coloring similar to Legbars. He also might not be carrying the blue egg gene, but mixed with a Legbar, all the chicks theoretically should all lay blue or green eggs

Since the Legbar is Barred, and the EE isn't (that I can tell) you might get sex-links so any chicks that show barring will be boys. I'm still thinking your best bet would be to mate him to a black hen that lays blue eggs.

my CL x Welsummer pullet "Gigi" she's on the move all the time, usually in my direction so she's hard to photograph Gigi, welsummer mix in front with her hatch mate, a Cream Legbar pullet in back
Sol2go, is your lovely CCL/wellie mix laying yet?? Let's see that egg :)

With your EE, you'll never know what genetics he is carrying so hard to tell what feather color his chicks will have. True Silver Ameraucana hens actually have coloring similar to Legbars.  He also might not be carrying the blue egg gene, but mixed with a Legbar, all the chicks theoretically should all lay blue or green eggs

Since the Legbar is Barred, and the EE isn't (that I can tell) you might get sex-links so any chicks that show barring will be boys.  I'm still thinking your best bet would be to mate him to a black hen that lays blue eggs.
Thank you for the response, that'd be awesome to possibly get sex links!

So I aim to make some chicks for my one (i have four) sister and she wants black hens that lay blue eggs. If I use this guy, a black/silver EE I hatched myself from a blue egg, with one or more of my pure Cream Legbar hens that lay blue, will I get what Im aiming for? (I do have a few black hens but the only one that lays blue is his sister)
Black is a strong color . Since your rooster has a Birchen color I predict Birchen looking chicks . Maybe not total . Males will be barred and possibly golden Birchen . That is to say carrying both silver and gold in a Birchen like pattern . Cream should be recessive so 1 copy should show as gold on the males and diluted by 1 copy silver .Females should be black with silver in the neck and possibly the breast ( Birchen ) .

Black is a strong color . Since your rooster has a Birchen color I predict Birchen looking chicks . Maybe not total . Males will be barred and possibly golden Birchen . That is to say carrying both silver and gold in a Birchen like pattern . Cream should be recessive so 1 copy should show as gold on the males and diluted by 1 copy silver .Females should be black with silver in the neck and possibly the breast ( Birchen ) .
goodpost.gif
Sounds like they would be quite pretty.

Well... I got rid of all my cockerels except for three Cream Legbars last year. This spring my wife couldn't bear to not have any Blue Breda Eggs in the incubator since they are the cutest chicks in the world, so we ended up hatch a few dozen Breda crossed from the Three Breda Hens in the laying flock. We call these hybirds Texas Blue Bonnets. They have feathered shanks but done' have the huge wing like feathers from the feet like the Pure Breda. They also don't have the Vultu.
We Hocks like the pure Breda and they don't have the Breda Combless combs. Most of the comes come out a Buttercup.We hatched about 30 of these and are now down to 8 pullets and 1 cockerel.

Hello, I'm sorry for commenting on an older post but I'm finding it very interesting. So if I cross a Cream Legbar Rooster with Light Sussex and Silver Sussex hens I would get sex link chicks? Females would be redish and males would be yellow or light? Does anyone have photos of chicks and grown out adult birds of these crosses to post and share? Thanks very much

Back
Top Bottom