Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Thanks!

I bought the eggs from someone who had originally crossed them last year and then this spring had them all in one pen (pure ccl, pure chocolate orp and the f1 mixes all together) so I don't know the exact cross. Most of the babies (I hatched about 20) hatched out solid chocolate or black (some barred). Only these 2 were chocolate cuckoo with chipmunk stripes

These both had slight chipmunk stripes so I'm thinking the boy will have the duckwing pattern, he is only 3.5 months old now and has a couple red feathers coming in on his shoulders. But I'm just basing the pattern coming in now by my pure ccl cockerel who is a month older, so I could easily be wrong and the red could just be a bit of gold leakage since this is my first year with CCLs. Next year I'm planning on crossing him to my pure ccl hens (not his sister though) and the year after cross the best F3 male with the F2 chocolate female, OR maybe cross her next year to my pure ccl roo to get some split to chocolate sons to cross with the chocolate hens of the other F3 cross. Depends on if I manage sell my pure ccl cockerel or not
hmm.png

I'm hoping the cockerel is split to cream, but I do like the gold/chocolate look so might continue that also in a separate pen. I have a svart hona hen too so will try getting chocolate svart honas... Too many projects?
roll.png
Not to mention my pigeon and quail projects lol

Quote:

I don't know, just kinda planned on crossing them back to CCLs until they had yellow legs (and better tail angles).
I did not realize he was only 3 months. Yes chipmunk stripes would be a good sign as far as I know. Sounds like you have a project and a plan on hand. Too bad you are in Mass. or I could have sent you anything you needed for the project. I have to routinely give up my Orpington and Legbar boys because I live in Chicago and sometimes even have to just simply give away my girls as well to cut down the numbers.

I am working on a mottled choc orpington project but have ended up with some black and blue cuckoo Orp x Legbar hybrid boys (split to choc) and choc girls on the side. Gave away all boys except one blue cuckoo since he was so pretty. Not sure if I am going to do anything about it though
hmm.png

I have also had CL crosses that produced better white earlobes on the hybrids...? And sometimes better crests than 2 CL produce.

I was told that the white ear lobes are governed by multiple genes and that mixing blood lines could have adverse effect on the ear lobes. The Breda is also a white earlobe breed and I am guessing that the first time cross in putting dominant genes in front of recessive genes that are causing the problems with the red showing through. I am sure that if i bread this crossed cockerel that his offspring would show the same problems with red on the lobes that the cream legbars have.

Yes the Blue Bonnets have better crest, but the Breda actually carry a cresting gene. They have what is called a Tassel Crest. It is very small whihc I assume is due to their comb type, but the crosses bring out the crest quite nicely. :)

Sharing some pics of my 18 week old chocolate barpington (legbar x orpington). Small crest but very friendly. I am hoping for an olive egg but will be happy with a green. Last 2 pics are with half sister Kim (Choc cuckoo orp split to mottled)
My birds are a more complex mix but they look similar. I got rid of all the hens with straight combs. The mom lays green eggs and is laced and I've crossed her to my Lavender Orpington roo which makes the first generation solid black but hopefully the next generation will all be laced and 25% should be Lavender laced. The black hens are glossy green/purple iridescent (more than my Australorps) and half lay green eggs/half lay brown. I'm only incubating the green eggs. All my hens have a rose comb (from their Wyandotte genes) but I saved two roosters...one with a rise comb and one with a straight comb. The roosters have a lot more color...and lighter colored legs (not sure if that's sex-linked or just coincidence).

My birds are a more complex mix but they look similar. I got rid of all the hens with straight combs. The mom lays green eggs and is laced and I've crossed her to my Lavender Orpington roo which makes the first generation solid black but hopefully the next generation will all be laced and 25% should be Lavender laced. The black hens are glossy green/purple iridescent (more than my Australorps) and half lay green eggs/half lay brown. I'm only incubating the green eggs. All my hens have a rose comb (from their Wyandotte genes) but I saved two roosters...one with a rise comb and one with a straight comb. The roosters have a lot more color...and lighter colored legs (not sure if that's sex-linked or just coincidence).

Wow, except for the comb, the body type is remarkable similar. I think its a winner!

you have any pics? i had a broody hen hatch out some CL-dad with silver laced wyandot hen I think, just curious what they will look like. I think i have a couple bared rock mises too.

I just had my first chick hatch from my project birds. I'm trying for Lavender Laced, created, rose-comb green egg layers. The Grandmother looks like a gold-laced Wyandotte with a crest, rose comb and lays green eggs and she's 1/4 Cream Legbar, 1/2 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and 1/4 Black Star (so 1/8 Barred Plymouth Rock and 1/8 Rhode Island Red). The Grandfather is a Lavender Orpington. The next generation is almost solid black and looks like this:

This generation should all be laced with 1/4 Lavender Laced. I think I lucked out and got a Lavender Laced chick from the first egg!

I did not realize he was only 3 months. Yes chipmunk stripes would be a good sign as far as I know. Sounds like you have a project and a plan on hand. Too bad you are in Mass. or I could have sent you anything you needed for the project. I have to routinely give up my Orpington and Legbar boys because I live in Chicago and sometimes even have to just simply give away my girls as well to cut down the numbers.

I am working on a mottled choc orpington project but have ended up with some black and blue cuckoo Orp x Legbar hybrid boys (split to choc) and choc girls on the side. Gave away all boys except one blue cuckoo since he was so pretty. Not sure if I am going to do anything about it though
hmm.png

Yeah that's too bad, they sound awesome.

The hardest decision a chicken breeder has to make is how many projects to work on
tongue.png

I just had my first chick hatch from my project birds. I'm trying for Lavender Laced, created, rose-comb green egg layers. The Grandmother looks like a gold-laced Wyandotte with a crest, rose comb and lays green eggs and she's 1/4 Cream Legbar, 1/2 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and 1/4 Black Star (so 1/8 Barred Plymouth Rock and 1/8 Rhode Island Red). The Grandfather is a Lavender Orpington. The next generation is almost solid black and looks like this:

This generation should all be laced with 1/4 Lavender Laced. I think I lucked out and got a Lavender Laced chick from the first egg!

Those sound like they're gonna be beautiful!

So I've got some eggs in the incubator that go on lockdown tomorrow. Out of the 41 eggs that went in 18 days ago about 16 were pure cream legbar eggs from my dad, with the rest being crosses from his CL rooster over 2 ameraucana and one brown leghorn hen. Wouldn't you know it, only 2 of the CL eggs are still viable, and the other 8 viable eggs are the crosses. So, a handful of questions-
1) what color eggs will the brown leghorn cross lay?
2) Does anyone have pics of adult birds of either of these crosses?
3) What creative names has anybody come up with for either of these crosses? I was thinking "Creamycauna" and "Leggy Legbar"
1f602.png

So I've got some eggs in the incubator that go on lockdown tomorrow. Out of the 41 eggs that went in 18 days ago about 16 were pure cream legbar eggs from my dad, with the rest being crosses from his CL rooster over 2 ameraucana and one brown leghorn hen. Wouldn't you know it, only 2 of the CL eggs are still viable, and the other 8 viable eggs are the crosses. So, a handful of questions-
1) what color eggs will the brown leghorn cross lay?
2) Does anyone have pics of adult birds of either of these crosses?
3) What creative names has anybody come up with for either of these crosses? I was thinking "Creamycauna" and "Leggy Legbar"
1f602.png

Brown Leghorns lay white eggs so a cross with a Cream Legbar will produce a blue egg layer.

Back
Top Bottom