Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

If you use a Cream Legbar hen you can use her like you would a barred hen to make a sex-link cross. So...I think it depends what you use as a rooster. You can't use dominant white, for example. I have two Cream Legbar hens in with my Black-Copper Marans rooster and I get sex-link Olive Eggers. The chicks are solid black with the cockerels getting a tiny white blur of a spot on their heads. Once they feather out the hens look like a Black-Copper Marans with maybe less copper or less feathering on the feet. The roosters will be barred like a barred Plymouth Rock.

If you use a Cream Legbar hen you can use her like you would a barred hen to make a sex-link cross. So...I think it depends what you use as a rooster. You can't use dominant white, for example. I have two Cream Legbar hens in with my Black-Copper Marans rooster and I get sex-link Olive Eggers. The chicks are solid black with the cockerels getting a tiny white blur of a spot on their heads. Once they feather out the hens look like a Black-Copper Marans with maybe less copper or less feathering on the feet. The roosters will be barred like a barred Plymouth Rock.
Yes I would be using a cream legbar hen to a Penedesenca Rooster. I believe he is partridge coloring.

Last edited:
Hello!
1f600.png
reading your post and wondered if you could expect the same olive eggers with a cream legbar rooster and a french copper maran hen? Please and thank you
1f600.png

Hello guys! I am planning on getting some Cream legbars in the next few months, so I guess I might as well start learning about them! Question, can I cross a Cream Legbar rooster with a wellsummer hen and get a auto-sexing olive egger?

You all had already told me the answer to my previous question about Cream Legbar rooster over Golden Laced Wyandotte. I even had screen shots of your answers on my phone but until today I didn't see it.

Salmon breasted female

Non salmon breasted female

Quote:

Quote: There is a difference between auto sexing and sex linked. If you look closer at the above quoted post from @Nicalandia , you will see that he said the CL rooster over the SILVER Welsummer hen would produce BOTH auto sexing AND sex linked. (The sex linked comes in from the hen being silver.)

However the autosexing is not gender dependent. It is my belief that since cream Legbars and welsummers both carry the autosexing trait, that a cross between these two breeds will retain the autosexing trait. So that should work out, regardless of which is the rooster and which is the hen. (I.e., CL rooster over Welsummer hen should still be autosexing. I hope Nicalandia will see this and verify if I got that correct.)

Barring is a sex linked trait, but in this case, since the rooster is the barred one, all the chicks will be barred, so not a sex linked cross.

I hope this helps you with your chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom