Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Oh, and looking at Nicalandia's quote even closer, he already stated that crossing the CL rooster over a gold based Welsummer hen would produce auto sexing chicks, in the next paragraph.

Last edited:
There is a difference between auto sexing and sex linked.  If you look closer at the above quoted post from @Nicalandia , you will see that she said the CL rooster over the SILVER Welsummer hen would produce BOTH auto sexing AND sex linked.  (The sex linked comes in from the hen being silver.) 

However the autosexing is not gender dependent.  It is my belief that since cream Legbars and welsummers both carry the autosexing trait, that a cross between these two breeds will retain the autosexing trait.  So that should work out, regardless of which is the rooster and which is the hen.  (I.e., CL rooster over Welsummer hen should still be autosexing. I hope Nicalandia will see this and verify if I got that correct.)

Barring is a sex linked trait,  but in this case, since the rooster is the barred one, all the chicks will be barred, so not a sex linked cross.

I hope this helps you with your chicks.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! That was helpful! I do not have Silver welsummers, just the most common ones.

The difference between sex linked and autosexing is that the sex link traits are found on the X chromosome. The auto sexing trait is not. It is called "autosomal", which means it lays on one of the other chromosomes, not the X, so it is not dependent on the genders of the parents, but rather whether the breed carries it.

The difference between sex linked and autosexing is that the sex link traits are found on the X chromosome.  The auto sexing trait is not.  It is called "autosomal", which means it lays on one of the other chromosomes, not the X, so it is not  dependent on the genders of the parents, but rather whether the breed carries it.
Ok, thanks for explaining it! Genetics are not my strong suit, thanks for patiently explaining it.

This is AWEsome! Thanks! What Would you say is your favorite Olive egger combination aesthetically? Just a fun question.
Check out "The Olive-Egger Thread" as well!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom