Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

This spring I hatched a variety of chicks from my free range flock, all pure breeds. Two of my 18 chicks have grown into beautiful solid black hens with white lobes and black legs. Given the leg color I assume they must be half Lavender Orpington , I don't have any other black legged chickens in my flock. One of the two hens is also crested in addition to the white lobes that they both have so I assume they're from the cream legbars that I have, nothing else with white lobes or crested. Both are very good layers of blue eggs, much better than either my legbars or orpingtons. My question is if there is anyway to be certain which combination of rooster X hen may have yielded these hens.
Also, is there a good book on these types of ?'s, it seems that I remember from a very long time ago in school that chicken genetics are quite unique and somewhat predictable.

Last edited:
Thank you for that, good info
1f60a.png

Hello everyone!

Curious, as I couldn't find the answer in the thread or anywhere else...if anyone has a bred Cream Legbar rooster over an Ameraucana Hen?

Just wondering if you would get a more richer blue than the ameraucanas, and a good egg layer? Thanks.

I considered doing that as the prettiest blue egg I have seen came from my Wheaten Ameraucana hen. As time went on I decided against it as they have such different body types and feathering.

In addition to the Ameraucanas, I have some EE's and their mixed offspring that were in my early stock, and I have found my Cream Legbars to be better suited to my climate. When it gets hot in my area, the Ameraucanas and EE's just can't cool down. Even my heavy, black feathered Marans or Cochin mixes do better in the heat than the EE's.

Not that it gets really cold here, but the EE's have been good layers in cooler weather with less daylight.

I have since found some Cream Legbar breeders with particularly good blue eggshells in their stock, which quickly improved my stock.

This spring I hatched a variety of chicks from my free range flock, all pure breeds. Two of my 18 chicks have grown into beautiful solid black hens with white lobes and black legs. Given the leg color I assume they must be half Lavender Orpington , I don't have any other black legged chickens in my flock. One of the two hens is also crested in addition to the white lobes that they both have so I assume they're from the cream legbars that I have, nothing else with white lobes or crested. Both are very good layers of blue eggs, much better than either my legbars or orpingtons. My question is if there is anyway to be certain which combination of rooster X hen may have yielded these hens.
Also, is there a good book on these types of ?'s, it seems that I remember from a very long time ago in school that chicken genetics are quite unique and somewhat predictable.

Have you enjoyed hour upon hour playing with the Chicken Breed Calculator? There are helpful options and data which may suggest some solutions, or not =) Here's a couple versions, there may be new ones I haven't found.

http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

Here's a good online read. University extensions also offer online info, and there are quite a few books. Others may have better suggestions.

http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

I considered doing that as the prettiest blue egg I have seen came from my Wheaten Ameraucana hen. As time went on I decided against it as they have such different body types and feathering.

In addition to the Ameraucanas, I have some EE's and their mixed offspring that were in my early stock, and I have found my Cream Legbars to be better suited to my climate. When it gets hot in my area, the Ameraucanas and EE's just can't cool down. Even my heavy, black feathered Marans or Cochin mixes do better in the heat than the EE's.

Not that it gets really cold here, but the EE's have been good layers in cooler weather with less daylight.

I have since found some Cream Legbar breeders with particularly good blue eggshells in their stock, which quickly improved my stock.
Thank you! Good to hear, perhaps i'll look into EEs. It doesn't get or stay too cold over here as well so perhaps that will help in the winter for egg production. We love our eggs!
lol.png

That is what I also understand but I used a legbar rooster over brown leghorn hens.  Personally, I was not trying to make a sex link but rather a rose comb blue egg layer.

I know this was posted this spring but I haven't been on much. I created rose combed legbars a while back and they're now my sole focus. I started them as soon as the first legbars were imported and I got my pair. I bred the legbar cock to rose combed leghorn hen and went from there. My current breeders are about 98-99% pure legbar and come in cream and crele.

Finally caught up on this thread. Love seeing all the legbar mixes! I didn't get to do any of the legbar crosses this season that I hoped but this coming season I'll be adding in some different birds to the legbar pen for some projects. This year I focused on refining my rose combed legbars and sold out of my single combed birds.
My easterbars (project I started before GFF imported any autosexing breeds) are coming along great and I finally have the variety I want in them. I put that project on hold for a couple years but revived it a few years back with a legbar outcross so now most of them are 1/8 legbar with various breeds in the lineage.

Keep up the good work with the crosses everyone!

I know this was posted this spring but I haven't been on much. I created rose combed legbars a while back and they're now my sole focus. I started them as soon as the first legbars were imported and I got my pair. I bred the legbar cock to rose combed leghorn hen and went from there. My current breeders are about 98-99% pure legbar and come in cream and crele.

Nice to hear from you and glad to hear your rosecomb legbar project is going strong!

I'd love to see photos!

Back
Top Bottom