Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

No recent pictures but this was from last month. There are rose combed legbars and easterbars along with a red star photobombing

I'll try to get more photos of them soon. I've been so busy with work (7 shifts in 6 days every week) plus we have an ever growing herd of goats so I rarely have time to post here anymore. I post a bit on Facebook since it's more handy.
Right now we have about a foot of snow so birds are homebodies lately. The easterbars and legbar boys love the snow but the ladies prefer to stay in the coop. Lol

I finally got a Lavender Laced bird with better lacing but it is still hard to see it. They tend to just look like a dirty Lavender...and this girl must be sleeping on a poop pile because she actually was dirty. Some of them have had blue legs and this girl has greenish legs. Their crests range from small to medium and half should lay green eggs. So far I only have one that I think is a cockerel and hopefully he has the blue egg gene too. I actually prefer the solid Lavender birds that I've hatched except as chicks they look too similar to my Lavender Orpingtons and the Lavender Laced chicks are the cutest I've seen.

Here is one of my F1 Wybar hens (CL over GLW) (top right) that I'm patiently waiting for a first green egg to see how green a Cream Legbar/ Wyandotte egg will look like. I'm going to leave her in the Cream Legbar coop for offspring that'll lay the mint green eggs. Oh why do these projects have to take so long to accomplish?!? LOL!

What are some good breeds to put with a CCL to get really pretty color and markings? And does the CCL necessarily need to a hen or rooster for best results or does it matter?

I have 8 crested cream legbars I got from the same breeder 3 roos and 5 hens two of the roos have a floppy combs and one with a straight comb they all have the same sire as I understand it the straight comb is the standard and the most desirable. anybody know why some have straight combs as apposed to floppy I think I read somewhere there is something called a rees strain does any one have an knowledge on this. I plan to start hatching Feb 1 should I use the straight comb roo for the mast desirable and marketable . I have added some pics thanks for any help if you click on the pic there is some added text
Harry

I have 8 crested cream legbars I got from the same breeder 3 roos and 5 hens two of the roos have a floppy combs and one with a straight comb they all have the same sire as I understand it the straight comb is the standard and the most desirable. anybody know why some have straight combs as apposed to floppy I think I read somewhere there is something called a rees strain does any one have an knowledge on this. I plan to start hatching Feb 1 should I use the straight comb roo for the mast desirable and marketable . I have added some pics thanks for any help if you click on the pic there is some added text
Harry

This is just a personal observation, I don't claim to be an expert. It has seemed to me when I look at pictures of the CCL roos that the ones with the larger crests have the floppy combs. Those that aren't crested or have only modest crest tend to be straight combed. Do any of the rest of you see this too? I understand that many breeders don't like to breed crested to crested for fear of getting the "vaulted skull" that shows up in Silkies. It is very thin and prone to crushing.

Back
Top Bottom