Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
Well here's another update on this little Legbar Isbar cross. Getting pretty concerned it's a cockerel... thoughts?

Hi! Some of you may have seen the thread I started last week about hatching eggs under a broody hen. Well, a lot of those chicks have hatched (which you'll know if you're keeping updated on that!) and there is a lot of great advice giving and discussion going on there! Now, we are trying to figure out about sexing our chicks, and what kind they are.

The ones we are not sure about all have a Cream Legbar for a dad. Here are the hens we have in our pen that could be the moms:

• Black Sex Links
  • ISA Browns
  • Buff Orpington
  • Easter Eggers
  • Blue Copper Marans
We also have Spitzhauben and Silkie hens in that pen, but their chicks were obvious when they hatched.

We have four yellow chipmunks with eyeliner (who we are fairly certain are girls- one of them is clearly a silkie cross).

We have two black chicks with white on wings, and white dots on their heads.

We have one deep red colored chick with a tiny white dot on her head (Looks EXACTLY like her mom did at that age).

We have one purebred Svart Hona, who is obvious.

We have one Silkie x Svart Hona- who is also obvious.

And we have one Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar.

10 chicks total- so far.

The ones we aren't sure about are the chipmunks with eyeliner (except the one we know is part silkie). And we also aren't sure about the black chicks with white dots on their heads. I am confused about the barring gene here- I know cream legbars can pass down a white dot for boys. But I also know barred rocks and olive eggers can have white dots either way. And the Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar has a white dot that looks JUST like it's dad's did at that age- so we think that's a boy.

So if any of you have ever had the hybrids mentioned above, are the sexable at hatch? Do you have pictures of them as chicks?

Looking for pics/sexable characteristics of possible:

• Black Sex Link x Cream Legbar
  • Buff Orpington x Cream Legbar
  • ISA Brown x Cream Legbar
  • Blue Copper Marans x Cream Legbar
  • Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar
  • Easter Egger x Cream Legbar
Does anyone have genetic knowledge about this?- doesn't need to be super in-depth.

Any help figuring this out will be appreciated! Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hi! Some of you may have seen the thread I started last week about hatching eggs under a broody hen. Well, a lot of those chicks have hatched (which you'll know if you're keeping updated on that!) and there is a lot of great advice giving and discussion going on there! Now, we are trying to figure out about sexing our chicks, and what kind they are.

The ones we are not sure about all have a Cream Legbar for a dad. Here are the hens we have in our pen that could be the moms:

• Black Sex Links
  • ISA Browns
  • Buff Orpington
  • Easter Eggers
  • Blue Copper Marans
We also have Spitzhauben and Silkie hens in that pen, but their chicks were obvious when they hatched.

We have four yellow chipmunks with eyeliner (who we are fairly certain are girls- one of them is clearly a silkie cross).

We have two black chicks with white on wings, and white dots on their heads.

We have one deep red colored chick with a tiny white dot on her head (Looks EXACTLY like her mom did at that age).

We have one purebred Svart Hona, who is obvious.

We have one Silkie x Svart Hona- who is also obvious.

And we have one Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar.

10 chicks total- so far.

The ones we aren't sure about are the chipmunks with eyeliner (except the one we know is part silkie). And we also aren't sure about the black chicks with white dots on their heads. I am confused about the barring gene here- I know cream legbars can pass down a white dot for boys. But I also know barred rocks and olive eggers can have white dots either way. And the Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar has a white dot that looks JUST like it's dad's did at that age- so we think that's a boy.

So if any of you have ever had the hybrids mentioned above, are the sexable at hatch? Do you have pictures of them as chicks?

Does anyone have genetic knowledge about this?- doesn't need to be super in-depth.

Any help figuring this out will be appreciated! Thank you :)
Unfortunately when you use a Cream Legbar male none of those chicks are sex linked despite those white dots. White dots indicate barring and if you use a pure Cream Legbar male he has one copy of the barring gene on each of his Z sex chromosomes so he gives a copy of that barring gene to every chick regardless of sex. With chickens the male sex genes are ZZ and females are ZW so the roosters have two copies of the barring gene and gives one to every chick and the females are single barred because they only have one copy of the barring gene. So, it is the female that determines the sex of the chick as when those paired chromosomes split in half to make two egg cells one gets the Z and will be a male and one gets a W and will be a female (each one gets paired with a Z from the male). That’s why when you cross a barred FEMALE with a solid colored male only the male chicks get a barred Z from the mom and that white dot which makes that batch of chicks sex-linked. Barred Rocks are auto-sexing like Cream Legbars but it isn’t as distinct (and Cream Legbars have Barred Rock in them). All male chicks are double barred and females are single barred. With barred rocks the males have bigger, scattered head spots, a grey cast to their backs and yellow feet. Female chicks have smaller, more distinct head spots, black backs and darker feet.

"The ones we are not sure about all have a Cream Legbar for a dad. Here are the hens we have in our pen that could be the moms:"
  • Black Sex Links -> This will produce 50% black chickens and 50% something else (yellow, chipmunk pattern, etc). All of the chicks will be single barred so the boys will look just like the girls.
  • ISA Browns - They will look like the Buff Orp chicks with chipmonk stripes, yellow legs. They will not get as big as the Orp crosses though. They will be single barred and males and females will look the same.
  • Buff Orpington - These will be the really big ones. They will have a single comb. Yellow legs, and should be chipmonk pattered chicks. Like the rest of these mixes they will be single barred and the males and the females will look the same.
  • Easter Eggers - What color EE? The EE crosses will be the beareded ones with the pea combs (but may have a few single combs too since EE as mixed breeds and may other recessive comb types that will come out with the cross to the single combes Legbars. These could have grey/blue/ yellow/ green legs.
  • Blue Copper Marans - If your Marans aren't carrying any recessive genes (I bread Marans from 7 different lines over a 5 year period and ALL the lines carried recessive genes) then you will get 100% black chicks. These will look just like the Black Sex Links black babies. If the Marans is carriying recessive genes then This will produce 50% black chickens and 50% something else (yellow, chipmunk pattern, etc). All of the chicks will be single barred line the offspring of the black sex-link so the boys will look just like the girls. You will be able to tell the Marans off spring because they will have light feathering on the shanks (unless they are carrying recessive genes for non-feathers shanks and again this is very common in Marans). The Marans offspring will also have grey legs as opposed to yellow legs of the Sex Liks. The will likly have red ear lobes but may get some white from the Legbar.

We have four yellow chipmunks with eyeliner (who we are fairly certain are girls- one of them is clearly a silkie cross). - What color Silkie? The boys will have eyeline too. You can NOT color sex these crosses. The Silkie crosses will have feathered feet with five toes and black skin. They will have the walnut comb. The yellow chipmonk color will also resuult from the Buff Ord and ISA Brown (although will have yellow legs, four toes, and a single comb).

We have two black chicks with white on wings, and white dots on their heads. They could be from either the Marans or the Sex link. What color legs do these have? Are the feet feathered?

We have one deep red colored chick with a tiny white dot on her head (Looks EXACTLY like her mom did at that age). I am guessing this is from the ISA Brown.

We have one purebred Svart Hona, who is obvious. OK

We have one Silkie x Svart Hona- who is also obvious. OK

And we have one Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar. OK

10 chicks total- so far.

The ones we aren't sure about are the chipmunks with eyeliner (except the one we know is part silkie). Photos??? And we also aren't sure about the black chicks with white dots on their heads. What color are the legs? Are they feathered? Photos? I am confused about the barring gene here- I know cream legbars can pass down a white dot for boys. The Legbar cockerel will send a single barring gene to ALL of his offspring both male and female. The gene will be manifest as a small white spot on the head. It is clear on the black chicks but can be hard to see on a red chick and impossible to see on a yellow chick. The Auto sexing only works in pure Legbars. I can explain this more if you are interested. But I also know barred rocks and olive eggers can have white dots either way. Yes the boys and the girls get the barring gene it goes either way. Only. Autosexing only works in a very specific pure breed color pattern. I can explain this more if you are interested. And the Spitzhauben x Cream Legbar has a white dot that looks JUST like it's dad's did at that age- so we think that's a boy. Both the girls and the boys will get a spot just like the Barred Rocks and Olive eggers. It could be a girl or boy.

So if any of you have ever had the hybrids mentioned above, are the sexable at hatch? No...non of these are sexable at hatch. Do you have pictures of them as chicks?

Does anyone have genetic knowledge about this? Yes :) - doesn't need to be super in-depth.

Any help figuring this out will be appreciated! Thank you :)"

Ok thank you!! So basically that’s a whole lot of “we have no clue what gender they are”. Lol. I will try to get some pics later!
Yep...no clue on the gender until the cockerels start to get red combs at about 4 weeks old. You should be able to tell who the mother is on most of these those.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom