Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

X2

I'm interested in true blue for the eggs...but I think that GaryDean26 and some others explained that one of the things about Marans was that when folks selected for egg color only, they started breeding for birds that were lower on the productivity scale (unintended consequence). I have heard of people who got out of Ameraucanas due to low productivity as well...so desirable egg color is just one trait to breed for. Doubly your plan sounds like a good one.

normanack.... now that is an interesting story...... :O)

Hey everyone what do you guys think of this guy. He is 10 weeks and 2 days old today. This is the one that came from my only true cream hen with a really large crest. she had slightly longer neck than the gold pullets and laid the really large eggs that had good color. This is also the guy that grew twice as fast as everyone else. He is standing next to his brother who is a week older than him in the first pic. Not only in body size but notice his ear size and wattles are bigger also. he Is also my only crested male that might be good. Has good tail angle as well as a big chest 2nd and 4th picture. Notice the two pics with gold pullets. Does every ones golds have the cream barring in their gold hackles.

Hello Goldy ,

Black Breast looking good.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how he grows up Steen. He will most likely have more color than your other boy, but his body might be closer to standard, and he looks like he'll be really strong! Even his tail looks like it's already filling in nicely. Keep an eye on the comb...hopefully it will stop at a reasonable size, but there are still roos out there with those humongous combs that have no choice but to flop. One of my most promising boys ended up with a crazy floppy comb. He has a beautiful tail but I am not passing on that comb, no way no how.

I have two girls who are light gold behind the crest and it fades to cream at the hackles, one truly cream girl who is uncrested, and then another girl who is almost black at the crest with cream or pale gold coming in behind, but it seems kind of splotchy (she's 3 months so she still has growing to do). The rest are babies and too young to determine. I'm going to save final judgment until they all go through a molt. The crests are looking more and more grey and cream as they all get older, and I've heard that some of the gold and browns that appear with first feathers disappear after their first molt. It will be exciting to see how everyone turns out! I hope that one day we can do a color sample of cream, as it has a range and it somewhat hard to explain to people. Light lemon to silver can mean so many things to different people.

I can't wait to see how he grows up Steen. He will most likely have more color than your other boy, but his body might be closer to standard, and he looks like he'll be really strong! Even his tail looks like it's already filling in nicely. Keep an eye on the comb...hopefully it will stop at a reasonable size.....
X2. I am looking forward to seeing his photos as he finishes growing out!

and I've heard that some of the gold and browns that appear with first feathers disappear after their first molt. It will be exciting to see how everyone turns out! I hope that one day we can do a color sample of cream, as it has a range and it somewhat hard to explain to people. Light lemon to silver can mean so many things to different people.
Ive noticed my oldest lemon type hens going threw their 2ND molt as an adult this spring and are looking more cream with the new feathers. You would still describe it as the lemony light color but not so much as a gold anymore. And even when they were more golden before this new molt, I noticed when they were in the sun they looked gold. And when they went into the shade and especially when they were picking stuff up off the ground in the shade ( necks bent downward) they really looked cream. So i always thought of that huge cream range i read about when i used to look at them.

I wonder if they will ever have cream color cards lol. Like for eggs but for our birds hackle feathers. that would be sweet. Although i think someone from the UK would probably have to make it, to be sure all the colors are represented. I don't think anyone here has enough birds nor all the examples. Nor the knowledge to say its a type of cream rather than the quick ahh its gold. ahh its auto seminal gold. ( did i spell seminal right) Also the people who talk about auto seminal gold are they referring to the CL that appear to change color going from sun to shade. Whats every ones take on that observation (sun to shade color) and has anyone else noticed that in their lemony looking ones do the same.

X2. I am looking forward to seeing his photos as he finishes growing out!
Ill be sure to post pics.

I noticed the 30 Plus bee hives in your siggy. I just split my Hive of buckfast bees into 4 hives and a nuc. Two strong ones with a deep brood box and a full honey supper. Two Start up hives with just a few filled frames(honey and brood) and a few empties added to the sides with side boards . I Didn't want to demoralize them with to big of a new hive.. I had Two deep brood boxes and two honey suppers on the original hive from last year. I had planned on just one split. But when i got into the hive doing the full hive inspection for the spring i noticed sooooooo many bees and soooo much honey and brood. I found about 8 queen cells.

Uh-oh! 8 queen cells is not a good sign. There is a good laying queen in it already, right? They are overcrowded and trying to swarm. You should split it into 2 or 3 hives immediately and give each hive at least 2 queen cells and destroy any extras. They will swarm and keep swarming until all the queen cells are used up unless you get lucky and a new or old queen finds the queen cells and kills them. If you don't want more hives remove all the excess honey, give them an empty box on top so they have lots of room, and destroy all the queen cells.

ETA- ah I see that's what you did, good call!

Uh-oh! 8 queen cells is not a good sign. There is a good laying queen in it already, right? They are overcrowded and trying to swarm. You should split it into 2 or 3 hives immediately and give each hive at least 2 queen cells and destroy any extras. They will swarm and keep swarming until all the queen cells are used up unless you get lucky and a new or old queen finds the queen cells and kills them. If you don't want more hives remove all the excess honey, give them an empty box on top so they have lots of room, and destroy all the queen cells.

ETA- ah I see that's what you did, good call!
yes although i only put one queen cell in each new hive. I hope they do fine. I was worried about them not hatching with only one in there. Also im not so sure i got my original queen into a new hive. I lost her and after the splits A few weeks later i went back into the two big hives to inspect and add a few missing frames i had to order( i ran out with splitting into 4 hives) I could not find her. So Right now im just hoping for the best and learning allot as i do things wrong. These buckfast bees are amazing producers.

Hey everyone what do you guys think of this guy. He is 10 weeks and 2 days old today. This is the one that came from my only true cream hen with a really large crest. she had slightly longer neck than the gold pullets and laid the really large eggs that had good color. This is also the guy that grew twice as fast as everyone else. He is standing next to his brother who is a week older than him in the first pic. Not only in body size but notice his ear size and wattles are bigger also. he Is also my only crested male that might be good. Has good tail angle as well as a big chest 2nd and 4th picture. Notice the two pics with gold pullets. Does every ones golds have the cream barring in their gold hackles.

Hello Goldy ,

Black Breast looking good.
Fantastic cockerel --

Know what else he has that we need to breed for? It is that long sloping back. Your guy has it!!

Back
Top Bottom