Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

I was wondering if anyone's noticed incorect wing color feathers coming in after sickle feathers have started to grow. or are the wing feathers pretty much done by the time the sickles come in.

I was wondering if anyone's noticed incorect wing color feathers coming in after sickle feathers have started to grow. or are the wing feathers pretty much done by the time the sickles come in.

I think there is at least a hint of color before the sickles come in (if they're going to have it), but it can darken and spread a bit as the whole body continues to grow. I've noticed that the saddle feathers have come in later though, and those can show a bit of gold or red too.

Last edited:
CL raiser and Club Member FaykokoWV - is active in the Welsumers thread.

She discovered something that the CL club needs to put a focus on, address and probably include in our SOP write up. Part of the reason why we are in draft mode...part of the reason that it is a multi-year span for us to get ready for actual application to the APA for acceptance of the breed.

discussion starts at post 1497 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732985/csu-chicken-state-university-large-fowl-sop/1490

If all our CL hens have feather shafting, we need to mention feather shafting in the SOP or in future meets, shows etc, judges will need to take points off for the shafting.

Good heads up for us -- some more delving is needed.

thanks for sharing this it was a real whammy for the Welsummer group and my first thought was of the CLB. Hopefully it prevents any confusion in the future. Better to be over descriptive than to leave something out that might be questioned.

Noooo KIdding. CL people - run out and check those hens -- seems like we need to include shafting for our hens. ETA - didn't even know what shafting was until I read that thread....

We actually discussed this when coming up with the draft version. All breeds do not mention shafting so it's kind of up to us. It's definitely debatable and I'm up to changing the wording if you all see fit...not panic worthy though
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom