Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Fantastic cockerel --

Know what else he has that we need to breed for? It is that long sloping back. Your guy has it!!
I have been so worried about my stock, these last two males i posted pics of have maid me feel better everyone likes them so much. I was seeing allot corrected issues in these two so its really nice to hear every ones nice comments.

Is there a byc-equivalent site for bees?
X2 what Steen said. My area is very active, NEOBA (North East Oklahoma Beekeepers Association) has their own yahoo group where they discuss things, and monthly meetings in Tulsa. We don't go much because they run so late and we have little ones and school to think about. And most of the members are middle aged or older so it is a hobby/social thing for them.
I have been so worried about my stock, these last two males i posted pics of have maid me feel better everyone likes them so much. I was seeing allot corrected issues in these two so its really nice to hear every ones nice comments.
You know I think I see that, too- things that UK breeders are saying "don't even try, throw it out and get better stock" are actually taking only a generation or two to correct. And as we don't HAVE better stock in the US I am very grateful we are seeing such marked improvement in such a short time with people working towards the RIGHT goals! Thank goodness for these Cream Legbar groups that let us figure out the genetics and work in the right direction!

Hey don't knock all the old middle aged and older people......
old.gif

lau.gif

I agree that very selective breeding of the USA birds has already shown improvement in the flocks...and that is an exciting development.
thumbsup.gif

X2 what Steen said. My area is very active, NEOBA (North East Oklahoma Beekeepers Association) has their own yahoo group where they discuss things, and monthly meetings in Tulsa. We don't go much because they run so late and we have little ones and school to think about. And most of the members are middle aged or older so it is a hobby/social thing for them.
You know I think I see that, too- things that UK breeders are saying "don't even try, throw it out and get better stock" are actually taking only a generation or two to correct. And as we don't HAVE better stock in the US I am very grateful we are seeing such marked improvement in such a short time with people working towards the RIGHT goals! Thank goodness for these Cream Legbar groups that let us figure out the genetics and work in the right direction.
Much of the credit for the quick improvement goes to the leadership on this group. By looking at what they are doing in Britain and then spreading the word on these forums and on the Breeders group let those of us who care about the breed (and not just in it to make a quick buck) know where and how to focus our goals for breeding.

Hey don't knock all the old middle aged and older people......
old.gif

lau.gif

I agree that very selective breeding of the USA birds has already shown improvement in the flocks...and that is an exciting development.
thumbsup.gif

LOL not knocking you at all! Just saying you guys are in a different season of life than I am- to gather and chat and eat for an hour and then stay until 10 PM for the meeting works great for you- not so well for my 5 and 7 year old who have school the next day!

Much of the credit for the quick improvement goes to the leadership on this group. By looking at what they are doing in Britain and then spreading the word on these forums and on the Breeders group let those of us who care about the breed (and not just in it to make a quick buck) know where and how to focus our goals for breeding.
I do look at the Britain birds and make my best judgments when it comes to pairing and breeding. Good news is i think 3 of my 4 oldest boys hatched this year are all cream. I'm not sure how that happened but its looking good. Even my one who has shown some slight coppery color on his back hasn't gained anymore color. hes 2 weeks behind the others so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also have 6 more young males i hope the cream ratio holds up, I think it will with the pairings i maid. I Knew this year would be my year to correct the males but i didn't think that that meant no female creams. At least next season my boys should start to change that percentage and i hope to get more cream pullets. I still have 4 that are to young to tell so i hope ill get a few. only one boy out of 12 hatched this year has kept the high tail from my original roo stock all other traits have been corrected too (as long as the combs didn't take a back slide) the verdict is still out on that but if they turn out good my males should be where i want them. .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom