Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

The rooster was light barred. The hen has slightly darker  salmon tips on salmon breast feathers.

Mirabell

Merlin

Petra

Petra again

Petra's color keeps looking better in my opinion she's gray based and looking prettier I should have taken a more recent one.

Last edited:
quick question ??? everybody who has gotten pullets that have black tips on the feathers the extra Barring. do you guys have dark barred roosters or light barred roosters that gave you those pullets
Pretty dark barring on the rooster, and all the daughters that I was able to track had no dark tips on breast feathers. The mother - classic CL from the original line (C I think maybe it was- the green leg band) - daughter that I raised here was identical to the mother - and I would have really had to struggle to tell them apart...so dark barring from rooster didn't affect the daughter.

@Steen, both. But I'm seeing it more prominently in offspring from two different sources. My only nicks are coming from related pairs. The hens play a part too...what are your thoughts?
Now that I think about it...I think I have had mainly different type barred birds paired...could that cause the mottling/tips/etc? Or is it all modifiers? So many questions :D

@Steen, both. But I'm seeing it more prominently in offspring from two different sources. My only nicks are coming from related pairs. The hens play a part too...what are your thoughts?
Now that I think about it...I think I have had mainly different type barred birds paired...could that cause the mottling/tips/etc? Or is it all modifiers? So many questions :D

KPenley
To me it just seems like the darkbar rooster would be the culprit. I just wondered if it was the case with other people. Theres always to many questions lol. As soon as u think u got a handle on it more pop up.

ChicKat thanks. Seems like your findings make my thoughts wrong. My Cl come from the green band hens. If i remember right it was a yellow band rooster. Id have to ask curtis to be sure it wasnt a red band cock.

Last edited:
Chicken weights -

- I was surprised today that my CL rooster topped 6-pounds. A few ounces over.

The 2-year old hen is now gaining she is 4 pounds, and the younger one that was such a little thing, but managed some nearly Large-sized eggs 1.9+ounces (- one of which hatched Christmas Day despite being cracked by my clumsiness on it's air-cell end and patched the shell with candle wax...that chick is now 1/2 pound and not even 3-weeks until Wednesday. ) The littlest is pushing -- toward 4 pounds...almost there....

I was pretty surprised and pleased. It makes all the weights look very achievable by the time the SOP showing comes around. What are they in UK? I have some from the original UK write up:
WEIGHT: 6 to 6-1/2 lbs in cockerels; 7 to 7-1/2 lbs in cocks.
WEIGHT: 4-1/2 to 5 lbs in pullets; 5 to 6 lbs in hens

How about others out there? What are your ages and weights?

I posted this on the Cream Legbar Thread, but I'll post it here too. The weights were taken last weekend by the weigh myself then weigh myself holding a chicken, then subtracting the difference method. May be off a few ozs or so.

Heathcliff (6 months old) weighs 4.10 lbs. He didn't feel as meaty as he did the last time I handled him in November so I think the recent sub-arctic weather beat him up.

The girls did better and are closer to the proposed standard weights.
The mature girls (original GFF non-crested) are 5.80 and 5.93 lbs. They will be 2 years old at the end of March 2014
The young hens (Jordan Farms crested) are 4.72 and 5.27 lbs. They are a little over one year old (hatched in October 2012).

Last edited:
I posted this on the Cream Legbar Thread, but I'll post it here too. The weights were taken last weekend by the weigh myself then weigh myself holding a chicken, then subtracting the difference method. May be off a few ozs or so.

Heathcliff (6 months old) weighs 4.10 lbs. He didn't feel as meaty as he did the last time I handled him in November so I think the recent sub-arctic weather beat him up.

The girls did better and are closer to the proposed standard weights.
The mature girls (original GFF non-crested) are 5.80 and 5.93 lbs. They will be 2 years old at the end of March 2014
The young hens (Jordan Farms crested) are 4.72 and 5.27 lbs. They are a little over one year old (hatched in October 2012).
Those are good weights... I'm of the school where you still want good feed conversion. It is interesting that in these modern times - even recipes are calibrated to use large eggs....So we are now having Large be the norm. I don't mind medium if they are daily... I will be happy with healthy hens at the light end of the continuum. Let's all have a major weigh-in in Januray of 2015 and see what the norms are.

For people who want to track their chick growth... there is a form to fill out on the Club's website. Once you enter the first weights you probably will need access to the spreadsheet.. it's a tool for those who want it. The chicks here - two from one totally different parents than the other one all weighed 1/2 pound at week 3. Can't believe how big they got that fast. And since they are not from the same parents it has to be the feed-- or maybe 1/2 pound at 3-weeks is normal.--- my others didn't seem that big that fast...but memory fades...fast.

Back
Top Bottom