Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

It is so interesting to hear people speak of darkening as the birds get older. I think that one of the hens has lightened considerably here, and the rooster was more 'chestnut' in some places when he was REALLY little like 18-months ago. What does darken on the rooster is the breast feathers. As they mature, they do get the darker barring on the breast from the ones that I have seen...but I think that doesn't start until they are approaching 2-years old. What's the experience with rooster breast-feathers that others have had?

Quote:
Enlighten me, why is he so Wrong? is it because of his dark barring? as per SOP Dark Barring is desired on most of the bird(hackles,Back, Shoulders, primaries, Secondaries and Breast) I will quote the SOP> " Breast evenly barred dark grey, well defined outline" now I admit his barring is not so evenly as most males I have seen here(there are a few birds with crisp evenly barred) so if we go by SOP wording the male on the right is closer to the SOP than the light barring male we have on the left... now how will the "American" SOP deal with this light barred males that dont show a wll defined outline and with light barring? that would be really up to them, Example pics to ilustrate my point.. a CL roo nice cream color to him but his breast or overall barring is light grey not Dark grey as called as per SOP...
350x700px-LL-a503f702_Photo0149.jpeg

Interestingly enough the first generation of CL from GFF showed a distingtive dark grey breast.. but they seem to be too rich to be concidered cream phontypically(even if they carry ig/ig)
CLineLegbarRoo_zps39683b8b.jpg

while this male has a dark breast but it the barring is messy and not well defined

Here is an opinion FWIW, your boy is looking pretty good. He will develop some more coloring but appears to be at least heterozygous for cream. The girl in the bottom picture also appears heterozygous for cream. The other girls appear to be gold/gold. Get some other opiions from those who have more experience than me.
smile.png

I concur with Hapless, the boy looks good so far but still young, the girls are all gold except for one that might be cream. They may be cream carriers though but you won't know until you mate them to the boy and grow out their offspring.

Do Cream Legbars ever have greenish legs?

I just hatched some chicks and one of them has a greenish tint to the legs. Is that normal? The rest are all yellow.

Last edited:
I remember someone last year dealing with occasional green spots on legs. Hopefully they can weigh in nittany!

@Chickat, Grey is my only boy that's close to two. His breast barring has darkened with age, but it started dark as well. His hackles lightened, but his shoulders and saddle have darkened to red red and gold barred with darker gold. He has thrown 3 cream chicks, so I know he's a carrier, but I 'm hoping to get a great cream boy from him with his shape and demeanor :fl lots more testing to do lol.

I had two that had the greenish legs turned out to have white legs and beak. The breeder I got them from only had a and b lines from GFF.

Quote:
This is just my opinion, but dark barring, when distinct and clean with white i.e. the well defined outline, is different than the male in question. He appears to be heterozygous for the barring gene or something else messed up his barring. Look at the tail, it appears dark, almost solid charcoal gray instead of barred. All of your examples showed clear barring in the tails. A CL rooster should be homozygous for barring as the barring gene was important for breeding the auto-sexing. Test breed to a solid hen of any breed/color. If any solid offspring result, then he is heterozygous for barring and more likely than not a hybrid/crossbreed.

Quote:
This is just my opinion, but dark barring, when distinct and clean with white i.e. the well defined outline, is different than the male in question. He appears to be heterozygous for the barring gene or something else messed up his barring. Look at the tail, it appears dark, almost solid charcoal gray instead of barred. All of your examples showed clear barring in the tails. A CL rooster should be homozygous for barring as the barring gene was important for breeding the auto-sexing. Test breed to a solid hen of any breed/color. If any solid offspring result, then he is heterozygous for barring and more likely than not a hybrid/crossbreed.

I agree he just looks wrongly colored, it's not about the barring. He has an almost orange shading in his hackles, his tail is not well barred, and although I couldn't put my finger on it I think Laingcroft nailed it- he looks like he only has one barring gene. Like the way when I look at young barred rocks and can tell the males from the females because the females are darker (only one barring gene).

Do Cream Legbars ever have greenish legs?

I just hatched some chicks and one of them has a greenish tint to the legs. Is that normal? The rest are all yellow.

Sometimes the females have a greenish tint to them but it should clear up. Now someone late last year was posting about "green spotted" legs which I haven't seen, I hope they will weigh in and tell us if their pullet outgrew those?

Back
Top Bottom