Cream Legbars

thanks im trying to bond with him, any tips? He keeps crowing and cooing! too... a question would duck and goose grower pellets be better forbhim than layers? Any suggestions?
I feed all my poultry layer feed. Even the ducks and turkeys male and female when I had them.

Layer feed is only problematic because it contains calcium which males do not need, too much calcium could cause some issues. But internal issues, not anything having to do with hormones or mating and fertilizing eggs.

My males eat what my females eat and that's layer pellets.

They do make a flock raiser, good for all poultry and all ages, no calcium. If you feed something like this just be sure to offer free choice oyster shell on the side for the hens.

thanks im trying to bond with him, any tips? He keeps crowing and cooing! too... a question would duck and goose grower pellets be better forbhim than layers? Any suggestions?

As far as feed goes I try to keep my roos on chick until at least 19 weeks and then they go on an all flock feed- same that I give to my geese.

Sorry I misspoke before he looks so different in that second pic you posted
hide.gif

Last edited:
Tips?  Yeah send him to me :p

I just wrote on the other thread about him. I LOVE his coloring and his barring is fantastic.  I love his big nicely serrated comb too.

As far as feed goes I try to keep my roos on chick until at least 19 weeks and then they go on an all flock feed- same that I give to my geese.
i see... re. The feed i have quail micro pellets, goose grower pellets, chicken layers pellets... breeder told me i should be feeding breeder pellets (i dont buy from him btw) people seem to like him! Haha thankyou

So how best to introduce to hens? I was thinking of swapping roosters after light out and putting him on the roost.

Or hes roaming free in the garden atm, letting a few hens out into garden?

Last edited:
I feed all my poultry layer feed. Even the ducks and turkeys male and female when I had them.

Layer feed is only problematic because it contains calcium which males do not need, too much calcium could cause some issues. But internal issues, not anything having to do with hormones or mating and fertilizing eggs.

My males eat what my females eat and that's layer pellets.

They do make a flock raiser, good for all poultry and all ages, no calcium. If you feed something like this just be sure to offer free choice oyster shell on the side for the hens.
The extra calcium can lead to kidney and liver failure after about 2 years. Roos seem to go through a hormonal shift at about 2 as well when more aggressiveness starts to show up too. I think for that reason and a few others is why most do not see issues with the Roos on layer feed and make the connection. I think if the girls go off layer feed when molting this might help a little for the roo as well.

Not all layers are the same either when it comes to calcium and how much of it is metabolized. Free ranging girls and boys will also take in much less of the feed and therefore further prolong possible calcium poisoning of the roo.

The extra calcium can lead to kidney and liver failure after about 2 years. Roos seem to go through a hormonal shift at about 2 as well when more aggressiveness starts to show up too. I think for that reason and a few others is why most do not see issues with the Roos on layer feed and make the connection. I think if the girls go off layer feed when molting this might help a little for the roo as well.

Not all layers are the same either when it comes to calcium and how much of it is metabolized. Free ranging girls and boys will also take in much less of  the feed and therefore further prolong possible calcium poisoning of the roo.
would my goose grower pellets be better? I cant find any info on rooster nutrition requirements...

would my goose grower pellets be better? I cant find any info on rooster nutrition requirements...
I typically use Purina Flock Raiser as a guide when looking at the nutrition of a feed.

http://purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/flock-raiser/

This is a basic 20% protein feed that is a relatively safe starting point and if free choice calcium like oyster shell is available should be fine for both.

being in the UK Im pretty sure your feeds will vary some from this.

This should give you a basic guideline for evaluating your feed. You will want to evaluate which ingredients you may want more or less of and supplement accordingly.

I cant find that in the UK... i have 25% protein quail feed. I have duck/goose grower feed, barley, and medicated worming layers, normal layers. Could do with an all rounder haha. Okay so a bit of discussion has started on another thread weather this cl roo is a pure one:

I know this has been discussed in the past but was it decided to keep all Cream Legbar threads open?

I have a hard time keeping up with so many threads and I feel like everything is spread out on all the different threads :(

Back
Top Bottom