Cream Legbars

I have them priced at $25. Thought that was pretty reasonable.
My husband keeps telling me to calm down, they'll sell eventually. We do have the room, just in case.
I think you have the right idea about listing them as blue egg layers. If you are doing a free listing (such as Craigslist) I would have 2 listings, one for Cream Legbars and one for blue egg layers. If you post a link to somewhere that sells the chicks for more, it might help. If you haven't already, make sure to include photos of the eggs, not just the chicks or older chickens.

Most people are going to think $25 for a chick is to much when more than likely they can purchase a pullet closer to laying (in most areas) for that or a little more. They are looking for eggs, not the breed. $25 sounds more than reasonable to me. Our extra EE's have sold like crazy here because everyone wants the colored eggs and I had them off of heat before selling them, I sold them for $10/each at 4-5 wks. I probably should have asked more.

Good luck! If I lived closer I would take a few off of your hands!
wink.png

I think you have the right idea about listing them as blue egg layers.  If you are doing a free listing (such as Craigslist) I would have 2 listings, one for Cream Legbars and one for blue egg layers.  If you post a link to somewhere that sells the chicks for more, it might help.  If you haven't already, make sure to include photos of the eggs, not just the chicks or older chickens.

Most people are going to think $25 for a chick is to much when more than likely they can purchase a pullet closer to laying (in most areas) for that or a little more.  They are looking for eggs, not the breed.  $25 sounds more than reasonable to me.  Our extra EE's have sold like crazy here because everyone wants the colored eggs and I had them off of heat before selling them, I sold them for $10/each at 4-5 wks.  I probably should have asked more.

Good luck!  If I lived closer I would take a few off of your hands!  ;)

I think the two listings will probable work out. I'm going to wait and see how many we hatch out of these 32ish eggs, and go from there. I have the space for a lot of them. I actually think my next egg collecting will be from my two best girls, and those will be my keepers. Then the next hatch after will space my sellable chicks pretty well. This doesn't even deal with the LB Cochin eggs I have in right now...
Wow, off heat EEs, should have gone higher...last year we couldn't find any, and would have paid more than ten for them. The problem with chicks in big r or TSC is none of the workers know what's what.

I think the two listings will probable work out. I'm going to wait and see how many we hatch out of these 32ish eggs, and go from there. I have the space for a lot of them. I actually think my next egg collecting will be from my two best girls, and those will be my keepers. Then the next hatch after will space my sellable chicks pretty well. This doesn't even deal with the LB Cochin eggs I have in right now...
Wow, off heat EEs, should have gone higher...last year we couldn't find any, and would have paid more than ten for them. The problem with chicks in big r or TSC is none of the workers know what's what.
With as quickly as they sold, and the sex links, I figured I had them priced to low...I was in a hurry to sell them though to make room for the others I had coming. I tried to order more after I accidently oversold them but they (Cackle) said they won't be available until the end of May. I ended up buying our 4 CL pullets and cockerel so it all worked out. Plus I have silkied Ameraucana hatching eggs coming in on Monday...My husbands biggest fear is we are going to be 'stuck' with to many chickens and they won't sell (and he'll be stuck processing).

It amazes me how quickly TSC sells out of chicks. They get them Tuesday morning and rarely have any left by Thursday...

It depends upon your area. Is there someone else in your area selling cream legbars? Is there competition and if there is, what are they selling theirs for? There are a lot of bandwagon folks who try to sell cream legbars and other middle to higher end poultry.

I use several resources to sell my chicks and hatching eggs:

There area probably a number of resources that you can tap into in your area. I was very surprised at how many pertinent groups were on Facebook. I also sell pullets for $35/each and cockerels for $15/each. Not that many folks in my area that have cream legbars.

Good luck!

Last edited:
It depends upon your area. Is there someone else in your area selling cream legbars? Is there competition and if there is, what are they selling theirs for? There are a lot of bandwagon folks who try to sell cream legbars and other middle to higher end poultry.
<deleted list>
There area probably a number of resources that you can tap into in your area. I was very surprised at how many pertinent groups were on Facebook. I also sell pullets for $35/each and cockerels for $15/each. Not that many folks in my area that have cream legbars.

Good luck!
In California unvaccinated CL chicks (pullets) directly from breeders easily sell for $45; straight run ee's & oe's at $15+, more depending on mix or if laying.
I vaccinate, but that is another expense.

Not that this info will help any but it is always nice to hear what others are selling chicks/birds for in different areas. In my area of the world, Idaho, most people want them either as day old females or pullets just about to lay. Many of the breeds I have are not sex-able at birth, that I know of as day old. Therefor I have a staggered price that I try to stick to as best I can.

Depending on the breed:
Columbian Wyandotte, RC Reds, RI Whites, Barred Rocks start around $5-7.00 each day old straight run. (only ones I can sex are the Barred Rocks but not 100% on it.) I add a dollar for every two weeks until I get to $15-20. My cull females sell for $15.00 each. Show quality start at $20-35 each. My old 2 yr hens usually sell for $3.00. Hens that have just finishing up their first year $7.00. Mainly want to remove the older birds first so they usually will go faster.

Welsummers, Barnevelders start at $10.00 day old. I am in my first year with the Cream Legbars and not sure what the market around here will take. Some people have tried to sell them for $40.00 but not sure how well they did with that. I know people have spent a lot on the CL stock but one does have to look out side of the breeding group of buyers to set a price. Personally I would not pay $40.00 for a bird not even for a top APA Heritage type of breed in perfect condition and quality. The most I have ever paid for adult birds in top condition and quality has been $25.00. After being burned by a "top breeder" years ago. I have come to the point of telling people that any bird on the place is for sell...$100.00 each. LOL I have had people come and try to buy my top birds for cull prices and learned that if you have a price for each pen or breed you stick with it but if they insists fine...cough up the $100.00 for each bird and they are yours.

Back to the CL/s I have 35 pullets and have culled the males down to 15 so far with another 50 eggs or so in the incubator. That should give me a good amount of females to select from for next years breeding pens. Hope to have at least 10-12 good females to breed from.

Hope every one continues to have a great hatching season.

Rob

Can any one tell me where the pictures of kpenley's chickens at the show are? I can't find them since I am on my phone.

I'll have to look at the camera card to see if the kids got any decent pics this last show, but here is Grey ( father of yours and some of your eggs)

Back
Top Bottom