Cream Legbars

I have two chicks that hatched yesterday. The mother is a creme legbar, the father is a white sizzle silkie. I was told several years ago on this thread that this cross would still produce a sex-linked chicks. Here are the pics and I would love all of your opinions on what you think the genders are

This cross will produce sex links by skin color, a male Silkie crossed to a white or yellow skinned female produces sexlink by skin. Females will get there fathers dark legs and skin and males will get their mothers yellow legs and skin.

Looks like you have 2 pullets.

Because the male Silkie was white, sexing by head spot passed from the Cream Legbar mother is unreliable because white can hide other genetics I believe. I don't know if the male being a Sizzle changes anything, the genetics of that might cause it to not be Sexlink. you could also post on the Cream Legbar Hybrid thread, lots of knowledgeable folks there. You could also check the Sex-linked information thread.

Last edited:
This cross will produce sex links by skin color, a male Silkie crossed to a white or yellow skinned female produces sexlink by skin. Females will get there fathers dark legs and skin and males will get their mothers yellow legs and skin.

Looks like you have 2 pullets.

Because the male Silkie was white, sexing by head spot passed from the Cream Legbar mother is unreliable because white can hide other genetics I believe. I don't know if the male being a Sizzle changes anything, the genetics of that might cause it to not be Sexlink. you could also post on the Cream Legbar Hybrid thread, lots of knowledgeable folks there. You could also check the Sex-linked information thread.

yay! I thought they looked like girls, but I wasn't sure

I like the one checking out your ear.

Yes, she found her target, and there was a distinct "ouch" resounding in the bathroom/brooder room right after that photo was taken. The rest of that somewhat limited bonding-with-Mommy time included quite a bit of the "Let's see who can peck Mommy's eyes out first!" game. It's their favorite...

I have been excited to watch the chicks' feathers come in, and see what the coloring is, but I have a question - will this be their adult coloring, or do I have to wait until after their first molt to know? (I got myself a little confused reading the forums). I'm interested to see how well they fit the expected appearance of CLs (and I guess I'm impatient).

- Ant Farm

Ill have pics soon I have 2 CLB out still fluffing out early indication is 1 girl 1 boy but missing a headspot at this point. (Too early to tell till fully fluffed)

I have another pip and a Del zipping as I type. This crazy incubator with the low temps prolonging the hatch. I suppose low and slow is better than hot quick and dead.

Well first 2 CLB out are boys. 3rd pipped crazy slow hatch
clap.gif
Yay! Congrats on the chicks you have so far!
jumpy.gif

i was just reading the genetics page for the crele variety of the cream legbars. it was much too long and too much for me to process. the thing that caught my eye, however was the difference in colors. I have 2 roosters, one is mostly black and white and one is very colorful. i was thinking that the one was a cross, but i was assured they are pure CL, he was going to go to the freezer this weekend... he lost most of his comb and the ends of all of his toes to frostbite in our horribly cold past winter.

I am going to offer him here, if anyone would like to use him. he is a nice bird with a straight comb (when he had it!) but I like the colorful variety myself. this is a juvenile picture of him, last fall, he was about 20 weeks old. I can get new pictures if anyone is interested, otherwise he is going with the CX!

he has similar stance to "rusty"and has a decent tail and angle. i dont have many picture of him because i wasnt planning on keeping him!

this is a "brother" Rusty from an earlier hatch who i will be keeping

Ill have pics soon I have 2 CLB out still fluffing out early indication is 1 girl 1 boy but missing a headspot at this point. (Too early to tell till fully fluffed)

I have another pip and a Del zipping as I type. This crazy incubator with the low temps prolonging the hatch. I suppose low and slow is better than hot quick and dead.

Congrats Caychris!

Back
Top Bottom