Cream Legbars

I have five POL pullets from Greenfire Farms. They are laying green eggs. All the same color. More green than blue, anyway. Anyone else get pullets/chicks from Greenfire and get BLUE eggs? I'm disappointed, really wanted blue eggs.

Here are a couple of mine with a green easter egger in the middle for comparison.
Blue eggs.JPG

I have five POL pullets from Greenfire Farms. They are laying green eggs. All the same color. More green than blue, anyway. Anyone else get pullets/chicks from Greenfire and get BLUE eggs? I'm disappointed, really wanted blue eggs.
Cream legbars can lay a range of light mint green to sky blue over in England, where these birds came from. Most American breeders are making blue eggs one of the focuses in our breeding efforts. Ralphie is definitely focusing on blue eggs, although mine mostly lay blue eggs, I have a few that lay a blue green egg with tan spots.

Here is a shot of eggs we took two week ago. The focus was the olive eggs from one of our hybird hens, but there is a Marans egg and a Cream Legbar egg in the carton for reference. The Legbar egg is pretty blue. That is the color that we see from the flock. I am pretty happy with the egg color we see from our flock. We did get stock from Green Fire Farm, that was before their 2013 breeding season so we only have the old blood lines that we are working with. We do see some eggs that are greener than others but the main focus in our color selection of eggs is color saturation. Some of the hens laid such a pale egg color that it almost looked white. We worked away from those results and focused on the eggs with more color (even if they had a hint of minty green in them). We used to see 50% of our hens producing light colored eggs we now only see about one in eight with the light eggs.

Olive Eggs.jpg

Here is a shot of eggs we took two week ago. The focus was the olive eggs from one of our hybird hens, but there is a Marans egg and a Cream Legbar egg in the carton for reference. The Legbar egg is pretty blue. That is the color that we see from the flock. I am pretty happy with the egg color we see from our flock. We did get stock from Green Fire Farm, that was before their 2013 breeding season so we only have the old blood lines that we are working with. We do see some eggs that are greener than others but the main focus in our color selection of eggs is color saturation. Some of the hens laid such a pale egg color that it almost looked white. We worked away from those results and focused on the eggs with more color (even if they had a hint of minty green in them). We used to see 50% of our hens producing light colored eggs we now only see about one in eight with the light eggs.

View attachment 1224897

Gary, while you and I disagree some on legbars, I have to tell you those olive eggs of yours are fantastic. I have tried with moderate success to get olive green eggs. But you have outdone me by 150% on those.
I had marans but the 2 hens laid 1 egg an week between the two of them and it was not worth the effort to try and breed them, os they became soup..... I wish now I had thought to use them with legbars instead of the Speckle Sussex and Doms I did use on Olive eggs!

Great Job!

Do you mind if I share your photo with the folks in the Minnesota thread, I will give you credit.. We are always looking for pretty and varied egg baskets...

Back
Top Bottom