***Crevecoeur Thread***

Sounds good to me.

One thing I've noticed, I see on sites and in post a lot, birds that arent creveies, but black polish...?? A common mix up, all facial skin and ear lobes on creveis are supposed to be red, ear lobes should be tiny and barely noticable. Most people dont know that about them, just thought this would be a good thread to mention that in as I see it a lot from time to time. If you are buying them, just be sure to check that out so you'll know what you are getting, that's about all that differs from bearded black polish and creveies.
Just thought I'd pass it along......

In the Netherlands they have Black, White & Blue.
droolin.gif

here's a copy of the standard for them in bantam, same for standard size, just heavier obviously

Bantam Standard for Crevecoeurs Weights: Cock-30oz/ Hen-27oz/ Cockeral-27/ Pullet-24oz

Shape of male

COMB: V-shaped-medium size,resting on front of crest,each side level

CREST: Large, abundantly feathered, rising well in front so as to not obstruct sight, flowing well over sides and back of neck in a compact even mass

BEAK:Medium lenght,strong,well curved Nostrils: Large , wide, cavernous, rising well above curved line of beak. FACE: Fine in quality, nearly concealed by muffs. EYES: Full ,round WATTLES: Small, well rounded, nearly concealed by beard. EAR LOBES: Small, inconspicuous, nearly concealed by muffs. HEAD: Large in comparison with size of bird and with a decidedly prominent protuberance on forward section of skull, crested. MUFFS &BEARD: Composed of feathers turned horizontally backwards, from both sides of beak, from the center, vertically downwards, the whole forming a collar of three ovals in a triangular group, giving a muffled effect. NECK: Medium length, well arched. HACKLE: Abundant, flowing well over back and shoulders. BACK:Rather long,broad, straight,sloping to tail. SADDLE:Abundant, partially covering wing bay. TAIL: Main tail-large, feathers wide, well expanded, carried at an angle of about 45 degrees above the horizontal. Sickles & lesser sickles- abundant, wide, well curved. Coverts- abundant, long. WINGS: Medium size, closely folded, carried well above lower thighs. Shoulders & fronts- concealed by hackle. Bows- moderatly rounded. Coverts- two distinct rows of broad feathers across wings. Primaries- medium width and length. Secondaries-moderately wide, tapering convexly to stern, but not beyond, tips well concealed by saddle. BREAST: Full, prominent, projecting well beyond wing fronts. BODY & STERN: Body- medium length, compact, well proportioned. Stern- full;fluff, medium length. LEGS & TOES: Legs- set well apart, short, parrallel to each other without bowing or knocked knees. Lower thighs- short, strong, well feathered. Shanks- short, fine bone, nicely scaled. Spurs- stout at base, medium length, set low. Toes- four, straight, well and evenly spread. APPEARANCE: Graceful, ornate, active

SHAPE OF FEMALE

COMB:V-shaped- small,resting on front of crest,each side level. CREST: Large, full, compact, globular, well balanced. BEAK: Medium length, strong, well curved. NOSTRILS: Nostrils: Large , wide, cavernous, rising well above curved line of beak. FACE: Fine in quality, nearly concealed by muffs. EYES: Full ,round WATTLES: Small, well rounded, nearly concealed by beard. EAR LOBES: Small, inconspicuous, nearly concealed by muffs. HEAD: Large in comparison with size of bird and with a decidedly prominent protuberance on forward section of skull, crested. MUFFS &BEARD: Composed of feathers turned horizontally backwards, from both sides of beak, from the center, vertically downwards, the whole forming a collar of three ovals in a triangular group, giving a muffled effect. NECK: Medium length, well arched. HACKLE: Abundant, flowing well over back and shoulders. BACK:Rather long,broad, straight,sloping to tail. TAIL: Main tail-full, well spread, carried at an angle of about 40 degrees above the horizontal. Coverts- wide, flowing well up tail. WINGS: Medium size, closely folded, carried well above lower thighs. Shoulders & fronts- partly hidden by breast and cape. Bows- moderatly rounded. Coverts- two rows across wings. Primaries- medium width and length. Secondaries-moderately wide, tapering convexly to stern, but not beyond. BREAST: Full, prominent, projecting well beyond wing fronts. BODY & STERN: Body- medium length, compact, well proportioned. Stern- full;fluff, medium length. LEGS & TOES: Legs- set well apart, short, parallel to each other without bowing or knocked knees. Lower thighs- short, strong, well feathered. Shanks- short, fine bone, nicely scaled. Toes- four, straight, well and evenly spread. APPEARANCE: Graceful, ornate, active

DISQUALIFICATIONS

Shanks and toes other than black or leaden blue-more than one appearance of more than one half inch of positive white in any section of plumage.

DEFECTS

Split crest- twisted or reverse-faced feathers in crest-abrupt break at junction of back and tail-wings carried too low-lack of activity, sluggishness

COLOR OF MALE AND FEMALE

Comb, face, wattles & ear lobes: Bright red. BEAK: Black, shading to horn at tip. EYES:reddish bay. SHANKS & TOES: Black or leaden blue. PLUMAGE: The quill and surface of every feather in all sections of the plumage, over the entire body, pure black. The head, hackle, back, saddle, sickles, and wing bows of the male should have a rich beetle green sheen. The female should also show some brilliance of feather in the head, hackle, back, cuchion, and wing bows. UNDERCOLOR: Dull black

DISQUALIFICATIONS: More than one appearance of more than one half inch of possitive white in any section of the plumage- Any appearance of any other color excepting varying shades of grey in the undercolor in any section of the plumage.

DEFECTS

Purple sheen or purple barring of plumage

I live in Creve Coeur, (Broken Heart) Missouri and thought this would be a fitting breed for me, but realized they would not be hardy enough for a Missouri winter. Beautiful birds though. Can I live vicariously through you as long as my Australorps don't get jealous?

lol.png
Yes you can, Wenlo!My Creve was able to survive up here through the winter......so I don't know if you could have one or not......

Thank you for the standard, Boggy Bottom Bantams! I'll add your post as an "info" I think I'm going to PM the moderator and see if we can get this into the index!

Last edited:
Quote:
No problem, and yes do that, they should except it as one I would think.

Also to the above poster on the winter hardyness, yes they do very well in winter, mine get no special care at all, and are in fully open pens, a 3 walled coop with a roof for shelter is all they get, we hit the low 20's upper teens every winter, and they stay fully exposed with no trouble.
The two other bantam breeders I know are in the great lakes region, so they are much worse off than your winters in MO would be. Try some, I think you'll be supprised!

Just pm'ed her!!!! Hasn't pm'ed me back yet, though.... I always thought that they were winter hardy. BantamBoy, that's so cool! Imagine a white creve.....or a blue one!!!!!!!!!! So beautiful! Wonder why they haven't been moved here on plane?

Back
Top Bottom