Crochet "Chat"

HI all!
Anyone here in the Houston TX area....willing to teach me how to crochet?

I have boxes of "stuff" (needles, hooks, yarn etc...) but don't know what to do with it.

Hello! I taught myself and my DD from books (with a dim memory of my grandmother trying to teach me) but I think the videos on YouTube are the best way these days. I've learned a lot of new techniques there. I just have to pause the videos often.

Best of luck!

Hello! I taught myself and my DD from books (with a dim memory of my grandmother trying to teach me) but I think the videos on YouTube are the best way these days. I've learned a lot of new techniques there. I just have to pause the videos often.

Best of luck!

thank you!

Has anyone else done the Mandala Madness CAL? I recently finished mine and it ended up being WAY bigger than I expected! It looks really nice on my king size bed though.

Heres the pattern: http://www.crystalsandcrochet.com/crochets/mandala-madness-cal-2016/

Wow, that is fabulous!! How long did it take you to make this? Gorgeous!!
love.gif

And how did you work with it, I mean it would be all over the place!
lol.png

Last edited:
HI all!
Anyone here in the Houston TX area....willing to teach me how to crochet?

I have boxes of "stuff" (needles, hooks, yarn etc...) but don't know what to do with it.
You might start with youtube videos. Lots of videos on the basic stitches. Go on line too for help, lots of websites have drawings with specific directions.

Most patterns have a few basic stitches and once you learn them, repeating them is easy enough. The most basic simple of stitch is the SC, Single Crochet. Start with a very simple scarf or wash cloth with this basic stitch, learn to hold your work, turn and keep stitches consistent. Then move on to more difficult patterns.

If you go on Pinterest, there are thousands of free patterns from simple to quite difficult. Just type in the search box on Pinterest, Crochet easy scarf free pattern, for example and lots will come up. Once you master the basic stitches and learn how to read patterns you can move on to making animals, clothing, rugs, etc....

Good luck!

willing to teach me how to crochet?
Yes, as mentioned there are a lot of online resources. I just had a quick look at that mandala pattern. The site for that has some very clear instructions, with photos that I think would be helpful. It's a long time since I learnt this stuff, but my recommendation is to be persistent when you feel that you "can't". Holding the yarn and the needle and "doing things" may seem difficult at first, but you will get the hang of it if you practise and keep trying. That's one disadvantage of learning from online resources, you don't have someone to encourage you, but encourage yourself to keep at it and you'll learn it.

Yes, as mentioned there are a lot of online resources. I just had a quick look at that mandala pattern. The site for that has some very clear instructions, with photos that I think would be helpful. It's a long time since I learnt this stuff, but my recommendation is to be persistent when you feel that you "can't". Holding the yarn and the needle and "doing things" may seem difficult at first, but you will get the hang of it if you practise and keep trying. That's one disadvantage of learning from online resources, you don't have someone to encourage you, but encourage yourself to keep at it and you'll learn it.

I haven't yet even tried to watch videos online.
I'd prefer to have a granny (not being mean) teach me face to face....but since I can't seem to find on in my area I will start watching.

My Granny did teach me and I remember making dish rags/wash cloths about 30 years ago....( she passed and left me all her "cool crafting" stuff--which includes sewing machines!!--that I do not know how to use either
he.gif
)
So I know I can do it...I just need to "re learn" how to do it.

Thanks all!
If you can recommend an easy how to video or a favorite person you like to watch...I'd be appreciative

You shouldn't have any trouble summoning up what you learnt before. I don't know any instructional videos, because I know how I haven't had to examine them. (if you want some recommendations on trying to play the guitar, I've got lots LOL)

I haven't yet even tried to watch videos online.
I'd prefer to have a granny (not being mean) teach me face to face...

I'm a granny and am not offended at all! Too many people these days act like they don't want to be around older folks (although, at not quite sixty, I don't feel that old yet... Well some days I do. Lol). I would love to teach you if you lived close! But I'm in California.

I'm betting there is a crochet/knitting group close to you. The last one I went to had a lot of young women but there were a couple of grannies there that were very helpful and patient. There is even a group in the small town I live in. But it's during work hours, so I haven't been.

Both of these were at libraries. So you might check the calendar of events for your district libraries to see. These groups are usually so much fun. I don't know why it's so much more fun with others but yeah, I get you wanting face to face time. :)

Last edited:
I would love to teach you if you lived close!
Yes, it seems a shame that people can't find somebody to show them. I'd also be happy to show somebody how to do things I know how to do. I don't know how many young people are into the older handicrafts, but if they want to learn they should be able to.

Back
Top Bottom