Crochet "Chat"

Found some free yarn the other day and started crocheting a little afghan for my great niece the other day. Thought I would do a small one, but I kept adding another round to the squares. Making granny squares. I am up to 48 squares and still going. I don't think it will be small... It started out varigated orange yellow white in the center, then I added a row of black, then a row of yellow then a row of white. I'm glad I ran out of colors....It reminds me of candy corn now. LOL

Quote:
Yipeeee...free yarn!!!
ya.gif
You will have to post a pic when you are finished. It's ok if you keep adding to it, then she can use it when she's older also. That's what happened the first time I set out to make my daughter a baby blanket. It was one of the mile a min patterns. I just kept adding more strips to make it longer...like a toddler blanket. She's 17 yrs old now and still uses it even though it's pastel colors. Working on a new afghan for her now. She will probable be in college by the time I finish it.
lau.gif

I have a bunch of granny squares from BYC swaps that I've never attached. They would make a wild colorful afghan that's for sure.

Smitty's Farm :

Hey crochet friends. I was wondering if you have a fav pattern for scarves?

My favorite is an open square pattern that is just alternating SCs and DCs (SCs just skip a space). The pattern can be easily varied by creating solid bands of DCs with 2 or 3 bands of open squares running the length of the scarf. Edging this scarf with a SC, a ruffle, or a shell stitch adds a nice touch as well. Here's a pic of a basic one I crocheted and didn't gift.

41069_scarf_hat_2.jpg

I love the Lion Brand web-site. They have a bunch of free patterns and signing up is free!
Here's a couple of my favorites...

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80926AD.html?noImages=

Joan Scarf
Lion Brand
00ae.png
Wool-Ease
00ae.png

GAUGE:

13 sc + 12 rows = 4 in. (10 cm) BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
STITCH EXPLANATION:

Popcorn (Yo, insert hook in indicated st, yo and draw up a loop) 4 times, yo and draw through all loops on hook.

SCARF
Ch 23.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across - 22 sc.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in next sc, *popcorn in next sc, sc in next 2 sc; rep from * across - 7 popcorn.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in each stitch across.
Row 4: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next 2 sc, popcorn in next sc; rep from * to last sc, sc in last sc.
Row 5: Rep Row 3.
Rep Rows 2-5 until Scarf measures 50 in. (127 cm) from beginning, end with Row 3 or Row 5. Fasten off.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.

ABBREVIATIONS / REFERENCES
Click for explanation and illustration
ch(s) = chain(s) rep = repeat(s)(ing)
sc = single crochet yo = yarn over

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/90670AD.html?noImages=

Morelli Scarf
Lion Brand
00ae.png
Wool-Ease
00ae.png

GAUGE:

16 dc = 4 in. (10 cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

SCARF
Ch 33.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (beg ch counts as first dc), dc in each ch across - 31 sts at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next dc, ch 6, sk next 5 dc; rep from * across, sc in top of turning ch - 5 ch-6 sps at the end of this row.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, (sc, hdc, 5 dc, hdc, sc - 9 st group) in each ch-6 sp across, sc in last sc.
Row 4: Ch 5, turn, sk first 5 sts, sc in next dc (center st of 9-st group), *ch 5, sk next 8 sts, sc in next dc; rep from * across to last 5 sts, ch 2, sk next 4 sts, dc in last sc.
Row 5: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), turn, 3 dc in first ch-2 sp, 6 dc in next 4 ch-5 sps across, 3 dc in turning ch-sp.
Row 6: Ch 3, turn, sk first dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, sk next dc, *dc in next 2 dc, ch 1, sk next dc; rep from * across, dc in top of turning ch.
Row 7: Ch 3, turn, sk first dc, dc in each dc and ch-1 sp across, dc in top of turning ch - 31 sts at the end of this row.
Rep Rows 2-7 until piece measures 140 in. (355.5 cm) from beg. Do not fasten off.
Edging: Ch 1, sc evenly around outside edge of piece, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc.
Fasten off.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.

beg = begin(s)(ning) ch(s) = chain(s)
ch-space = space previously made dc = double crochet
hdc = half double crochet rep = repeat(s)(ing)
sc = single crochet sk = skip
sl st = slip stitch st(s) = stitch(es)

Here is one more that is great for the guys on your list
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80986AD.html?noImages=

Last edited:
Beautiful, and great for beginners!

Quote:
My favorite is an open square pattern that is just alternating SCs and DCs (SCs just skip a space). The pattern can be easily varied by creating solid bands of DCs with 2 or 3 bands of open squares running the length of the scarf. Edging this scarf with a SC, a ruffle, or a shell stitch adds a nice touch as well. Here's a pic of a basic one I crocheted and didn't gift.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41069_scarf_hat_2.jpg

I love the Lion Brand web-site. They have a bunch of free patterns and signing up is free!

Joan Scarf
Lion Brand
00ae.png
Wool-Ease
00ae.png

GAUGE:

13 sc + 12 rows = 4 in. (10 cm) BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.
STITCH EXPLANATION:

Popcorn (Yo, insert hook in indicated st, yo and draw up a loop) 4 times, yo and draw through all loops on hook.

SCARF
Ch 23.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in next sc, *popcorn in next sc, sc in next 2 sc; rep from * across - 7 popcorn.
Row 4: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next 2 sc, popcorn in next sc; rep from * to last sc, sc in last sc.
Rep Rows 2-5 until Scarf measures 50 in. (127 cm) from beginning, end with Row 3 or Row 5. Fasten off.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.

Morelli Scarf
Lion Brand
00ae.png
Wool-Ease
00ae.png

GAUGE:

16 dc = 4 in. (10 cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

SCARF
Ch 33.
Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (beg ch counts as first dc), dc in each ch across - 31 sts at the end of this row.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, *sc in next dc, ch 6, sk next 5 dc; rep from * across, sc in top of turning ch - 5 ch-6 sps at the end of this row.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, (sc, hdc, 5 dc, hdc, sc - 9 st group) in each ch-6 sp across, sc in last sc.
Row 4: Ch 5, turn, sk first 5 sts, sc in next dc (center st of 9-st group), *ch 5, sk next 8 sts, sc in next dc; rep from * across to last 5 sts, ch 2, sk next 4 sts, dc in last sc.
Row 5: Ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), turn, 3 dc in first ch-2 sp, 6 dc in next 4 ch-5 sps across, 3 dc in turning ch-sp.
Row 6: Ch 3, turn, sk first dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, sk next dc, *dc in next 2 dc, ch 1, sk next dc; rep from * across, dc in top of turning ch.
Row 7: Ch 3, turn, sk first dc, dc in each dc and ch-1 sp across, dc in top of turning ch - 31 sts at the end of this row.
Rep Rows 2-7 until piece measures 140 in. (355.5 cm) from beg. Do not fasten off.
Edging: Ch 1, sc evenly around outside edge of piece, working 3 sc in each corner; join with sl st in first sc.
Fasten off.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41069_scarf_hat_2.jpg

Joan Scarf
Lion Brand
00ae.png
Wool-Ease
00ae.png

GAUGE:

STITCH EXPLANATION:

SCARF
Ch 23.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.

Morelli Scarf
Lion Brand
00ae.png
Wool-Ease
00ae.png

GAUGE:

SCARF
Ch 33.
Fasten off.

FINISHING
Weave in ends.

Yes all of these scarves are great for beginners. I have made some beautiful scarves off the Lion Yarn site that were more difficult but I didn't include them here. Go to their site if you want something a little more challenging.
smile.png

SunnyDawn~ Thank you so much for sharing! I love it!
love.gif
What lovely work! It's so feminine. I'm actually a member of The Lion's Brand page and was playing around w/ some of their Homespun yarn last night making my friend a scarf and got curious if anyone on here had a fav pattern. Thanks bunches for sharing. I think I'm going to have to try the one you posted. I haven't made hats before. Well, actually I attempted a beanie for the first time last yr, but something went way wrong
sickbyc.gif
and it ended up looking more like a beret.

WriterofWords~ That's wonderful news!!!
celebrate.gif
Free yarn & hooks. Yahooo!!! I bet your talented club kids will be able to crank them out in no time.

Smitty's Farm :

SunnyDawn~ Thank you so much for sharing! I love it!
love.gif
What lovely work! It's so feminine. I'm actually a member of The Lion's Brand page and was playing around w/ some of their Homespun yarn last night making my friend a scarf and got curious if anyone on here had a fav pattern. Thanks bunches for sharing. I think I'm going to have to try the one you posted. I haven't made hats before. Well, actually I attempted a beanie for the first time last yr, but something went way wrong
sickbyc.gif
and it ended up looking more like a beret.

WriterofWords~ That's wonderful news!!!
celebrate.gif
Free yarn & hooks. Yahooo!!! I bet your talented club kids will be able to crank them out in no time.

lol.png
Berets are cute too!
lol.png

Quote:
lol.png
Berets are cute too!
lol.png

Yes, berets are cute too, but this thing really looked more like Little Red Riding Hood Grandma's bed cap.
lau.gif
gig.gif
My daughter likes it so I didn't unravel it. Reminds me that I need to crochet a cute flower to add to the front, so it's in a ziplock bag sitting in my unfinished project basket in the corner of my living room.

Smitty's Farm :

Quote:
lol.png
Berets are cute too!
lol.png

Yes, berets are cute too, but this thing really looked more like Little Red Riding Hood Grandma's bed cap.
lau.gif
gig.gif
My daughter likes it so I didn't unravel it. Reminds me that I need to crochet a cute flower to add to the front, so it's in a ziplock bag sitting in my unfinished project basket in the corner of my living room.​

hahaha-024.gif

Back
Top Bottom