Crop not responding to treatment

Elsie-Belle

Chirping
Oct 24, 2020
Northern Ohio
I have a year old Chocolate Orpington named Goose that has a crop issue that hasn’t responded to some of the suggested treatments. She eats a mix of layer mash and all flock crumbles with grit and oyster shell available.

I noticed her behavior was off on Friday (quieter, isolating, drinking obsessively and not eating much).

Crop check Friday night = water balloon with gravel in it.

Crop check Saturday morning = small bag of gravel. Moved her to hospital pen and started coconut oil and gentle massage several times throughout the day. Gave several doses of stool softener (several hours apart) when oil didn’t produce much change. Offered water and a scrambled egg (might have made a mistake not withholding food?). Very watery diarrhea with green specks. Very full watery crop. Put her back in chicken house to roost in evening.

Crop check Sunday morning = bag of dough with gravely bits. Back in the hospital pen. Gave several doses of “dough buster… lemon juice, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger”. Gave more oil, stool softener and gentle massage. Offered water and another egg. Started dewormer with liquid Safeguard. No sour smell from crop. Lots of diarrhea. Very full watery crop. Put her back to roost with the rest.

Crop check Monday morning = water balloon with gravel. Back to hospital pen. Dewormed again and started Monistat twice daily even though no smell from mouth. Made decision to put her back with the group and let her self regulate food and water (mistake since crop wasn’t really ever empty??).

Fast forward to today. Still doing dewormer and Monistat. No change really except she ACTS like she feels way better. BUT still very full crop and diarrhea; see picture from this morning when I put her back in the hospital pen for a few hours to monitor food and poop. There was a slightly more substantial poop from her this evening with a lot of short pieces of grass which is strange because she hasn’t been on grass for over 4 days! She produced that after an hour in the chicken tractor this evening… don’t think the grass could have gone through her that quick!?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BAC9F298-10E0-4504-B8A5-D93580D753BB.jpeg
    BAC9F298-10E0-4504-B8A5-D93580D753BB.jpeg
    847.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 14FC18D0-82A5-4520-A0B5-252A0373CB56.jpeg
    14FC18D0-82A5-4520-A0B5-252A0373CB56.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 8338DC75-CEB6-41EC-BAA5-17226F103763.jpeg
    8338DC75-CEB6-41EC-BAA5-17226F103763.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 28
Appreciate that! She is a bit more quiet today and not as active as she was yesterday. I am still giving her the feminine yeast cream twice daily as it seems her crop, while full, isn’t impacted. I put a puppy pad under her on the roost last night so I could better see what she is putting out (I use a poop tray with Stall Dry on it to scoop it like a littler box but loose stools can get a little lost). Sorry for all the poop photos 🤢 but I guess it really is a good gauge of how they are doing. Think the photo shows any improvement?

Attachments

• D0210716-6061-4B82-B5FD-98A6B1939A79.jpeg
    D0210716-6061-4B82-B5FD-98A6B1939A79.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 32
Still doing dewormer and Monistat
You're on day 5 of Safeguard right? So that should be it for the dewomer.

Give the Monistat for a full 7 days even if she gets better.
She's finally pooping grass and hasn't had any in 4 days, so that tell you that while her crop may not be impacted, she may have a partial blockage in the digestive system somewhere.
I'd give her another stimulant free stool softener, make sure she's got plenty of water and wet mushy feed, see if she's able to pass more material.

If you don't see results in a couple of days or she really goes down and is not able to poop, then you may need to give her a flush.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely finish the Monistat and will also do the stool softener again. I think you are spot on about a blockage further down. Her crop just refuses to drain overnight. Am I to the point of trying a crop bra?

It can take days for crop issues to resolve, keep working on it and see how it goes.

A bra may be needed, but I'd see if it can be avoided.

This is her poop from last night. Today is day 6 of Monistat treatment. Crop still full this morning even though she obviously had something move through her intestines overnight. The crop felt slightly doughy this morning when I gave it a little massage. Think I should go further than 7 days with the Monistat, or increase to 3 times a day?

Attachments

• 3C2B9A00-DD1E-4968-94B2-663780BF5FE3.jpeg
    3C2B9A00-DD1E-4968-94B2-663780BF5FE3.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom