Cross Jersey Giant rooster with Barred Rock hen??

bbowen

Songster
10 Years
Dec 31, 2009
Moira, NY
Anyone know if it's possible to cross a Jersey Giant rooster with a Barred Rock Hen?

Would the Giant be too big to breed with a Barred Rock.?

I'm just curious. I don't plan on trying it anytime soon. I just saw some nice looking JG on here!!

1 of my friends gave me some eggs to hatch, I had 6 of them...

*the ROO was DEFINATELY a Pure Jersey giant...there were 2 possibilities of the mommy - 1 being barred rocks & prod. reds. Out of those 6 eggs I got 3 totally Whitish/Blonde chicks, & 3 mostly Black chicks; so I was a bit surprised!!!, I'm assuming the blonde ones are from the Prod. reds & the black ones are from the Barred rocks...

Here are some pictures of them from birth - 3 wks. old.....

The 1st pic is the 2 that look the most alike, mostly black, a little grey/white on wingtips, etc. Now the one drinking out of the waterer is the most interesting & definately a BR/JG mix lol obviously, he/she (prolly a he, shorter wings) has definately prettier wings, I'm still hoping its a hen though; when they were younger they all looked almost identical, cept the 2nd pic 1 had a mostly greysish spot on its head...thats kinda fading now....

Here's the 3 of them again.

Now here's the 3 that were totally opposite of them on the blonde side of things....

That 1 obviously got her daddy's legs :) her names Fudge, the other 2 have normaly colored legs

Her daddy's feathers are definately coming in too though...

I'll post more pics as they grow up to keep yall informed :)

Well I have new pics, my Jersey/Barred Rock mixes are now 6-7wks old in these pictures I think....
Here's Nosy (the only blonde one w/cool black markings on top! they shine too!!)
Blondie-top, Fudge-left,Rocky & Nosy....
Here's Domino at 5wks, sorry for funky pic

Here's Nosy, & Galaxy, she obviously took her Barred rock momma's JEANS! lol

Here's a good pic of some of them checkin out my little 6.5 month old wynadotte (Harlet) who isn't laying yet, she was really curious about them...Nosy is up middle front, My sweet lil Fudge is on the right, Galaxy's on the left, Blondie's up top, my lil Australorps in there on the right..& either Rocky/Dominos on the left middle & upper right...the only way I can tell them apart is if I can see their feet, b/c Domino has a white band & he has 2 white toes, Rocky's all black & shiny!

OH & this will excite ya'll LOL, looky what I got given to me to be w/my 7 wk babies..a 7 MONTH OLD DARK PARTRIDGE SILKIE ROO! He's the sweetest thing, acts like their mother...he doesn't peck them unless they peck him 1st! He's the most passiveist chicken, somewhat tame, but I need to tame him more, I want him to be a lap chicken lol, b/c he's so fuzzy :)

New Partridge silkie & Rocky the bully

It is quite possible. I assure you they will try and often succeed even with a big difference in size. If you notice, the hen squats, thus spreading the weight of the rooster over her body and into the ground. It's not as hard on the hen as it looks. And many roosters are two or three pounds heavier than the hens of the same breed anyway. The more difference in size the bigger the risk, but not as much as you think.

Cool, thanks! Maybe I'll add a JG rooster to my flock. I like the idea of that big sucker looking over the girls!

Anyone know if it's possible to cross a Jersey Giant rooster with a Barred Rock Hen?

Would the Giant be too big to breed with a Barred Rock.?

I'm just curious. I don't plan on trying it anytime soon. I just saw some nice looking JG on here!!
I have Jersey giant rooster and lots differents breeds of hens, include one barred rock..
He never bred her before, i have seen him mating with my buff orpington hens and Delaware hens..
You could try and see what going on with them.
Im going to hatching their eggs to see what its going to look like!

1 of my friends gave me some eggs to hatch, I had 6 of them...

*the ROO was DEFINATELY a Pure Jersey giant...there were 2 possibilities of the mommy - 1 being barred rocks & prod. reds. Out of those 6 eggs I got 3 totally Whitish/Blonde chicks, & 3 mostly Black chicks; so I was a bit surprised!!!, I'm assuming the blonde ones are from the Prod. reds & the black ones are from the Barred rocks...

Here are some pictures of them from birth - 3 wks. old.....

The 1st pic is the 2 that look the most alike, mostly black, a little grey/white on wingtips, etc. Now the one drinking out of the waterer is the most interesting & definately a BR/JG mix lol obviously, he/she (prolly a he, shorter wings) has definately prettier wings, I'm still hoping its a hen though; when they were younger they all looked almost identical, cept the 2nd pic 1 had a mostly greysish spot on its head...thats kinda fading now....

Here's the 3 of them again.

Now here's the 3 that were totally opposite of them on the blonde side of things....

That 1 obviously got her daddy's legs :) her names Fudge, the other 2 have normaly colored legs

Her daddy's feathers are definately coming in too though...

I'll post more pics as they grow up to keep yall informed :)

Thats really CUTE!!!! I cant wait till see what Jersey giant crossbreed Delaware chicks look like!
Also i just put some eggs from my Delaware and Buff orpington hens in incubator!
Im so exicting to see the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom