Cross post - injured duck?

If you aren't seeing significant swelling or excess heat in any part of her leg then most likely a sprain and it can take a while to heal just like us humans rest and therapy [water] plus vitamins are the best way to treat. The liquid B complex at TSC will say injectable but just remove the foil and the rubber stopper and use a 1 mil syringe to get what you need out, no needled necessary. Since she is still eating well just put 1 ml over something she really loves so she gets full dose. Refrigerate the rest.

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions! I thought I felt her push back with her right foot a little this morning when moving her. I don’t have that particular vitamin B yet (we’re a ways out of town), but per some other BYC posts I read, I dissolved part of a B complex tablet in water last night and sprinkled mealworms on top to get her to partake after her epsom soak. Maybe that perked her up a little.

Yes, during the day I have her penned in a small area at the corner of the run with my bumblefoot gal so they aren’t alone. The other gal is the one my drake likes.

Would any of you continue trying to reach a vet to get her seen soon? The one I was really hoping for has on their message that they’re booking FOUR WEEKS OUT. Point being I may still take an appointment there to establish a relationship but not keep calling around to find someone to see her sooner. Side note, I’m encouraging my 5 year old to be a vet when he grows up. 😉

Last edited:
I would keep the drake away from her. Even if you haven't seen it her injury may be pelvic bruising from a rough mating.
That’s just sad. My drake has been surprisingly aggressive over the last few months - he’s just a year old in July. I actually looked around for a drake swap but then found out some people separate their drakes during prime mating season to avoid over mating. Though honestly, he’s overmated another gal in the past.

Last edited:
Update time - we got into a local farm vet today. (Sorry for the delay - I’ve been catching up on work and life aside from ducks.) This guy owns ducks!

Long story short, after a full exam, he suspects a nutrient deficiency that is leading to nerve damage. That’s despite buying expensive feed designed for ducks and geese. We had a big move (1400+ miles), we’ve had a big change in weather, she’s been a prolific layer, and the kicker may have been a combination of running out of feed for a few days and using the “all purpose poultry” feed we could get locally and her getting into the dog food like it’s a special treat. There is zero indication of injury of any kind.

His recommendation? Add some crushed cat food to her feed, which of course InstaCart shorted me this evening. Between that and vitamins, she should be on the mend soon, but it will take time. He said maybe a month or so.

That’s just sad. My drake has been surprisingly aggressive over the last few months - he’s just a year old in July. I actually looked around for a drake swap but then found out some people separate their drakes during prime mating season to avoid over mating. Though honestly, he’s overmated another gal in the past.
Drakes can unfortunately be like that during breeding season, and then turn back into absolute darlings.

I'm glad you were able to find a local farm vet! Those are usually the best, imo. Glad to hear she'll be better, even though it will take a bit of time.

Let us know how she does!

Drakes can unfortunately be like that during breeding season, and then turn back into absolute darlings.

I'm glad you were able to find a local farm vet! Those are usually the best, imo. Glad to hear she'll be better, even though it will take a bit of time.

Let us know how she does!
I was bringing his fave gal in for an epsom salt bath this evening while the birds were all out, and he followed me and bit my leg several times. Those hormones are no joke!!!

Water therapy and vitamin water topped with mealworms.

Attachments

• 616684CB-5753-42A0-B339-5D8A4D01A7C9.jpeg
    616684CB-5753-42A0-B339-5D8A4D01A7C9.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 2
  • 5A13FB1F-B11C-4DAA-AA89-B320B9881E21.jpeg
    5A13FB1F-B11C-4DAA-AA89-B320B9881E21.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom