Crowing "Hen"?

Chimera Chicken

Chirping
Sep 5, 2019
Michigan
Hey y'all! So, long story short my sister's friend found a random chicken alone on a hiking trail and we drove out and rescued her. We've only had her a couple days and are keeping her separated from the rest of the flock for a couple weeks at least.
We've come to be a bit confused as she has started to crow a lot. I thought maybe I was wrong in thinking she was a hen, but she has no spurs, no sickle feathers, her comb/waddles seem larger than the rest of my hens but I haven't had this breed before so maybe they're average.
I know hens can crow, but from what I've found it's rare and they don't typically crow this much if they do.
Really I'm just looking for more opinions on the matter. Is it a possible sex-reversal? Is she actually a feminine rooster? Or just a hen who likes to crow? No idea! 😂 I included some photos of her too.

Attachments

• 20230624_201747.jpg
    20230624_201747.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 263
  • 20230625_154824~2.jpg
    20230625_154824~2.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 71
Hello!
Hey y'all! So, long story short my sister's friend found a random chicken alone on a hiking trail and we drove out and rescued her. We've only had her a couple days and are keeping her separated from the rest of the flock for a couple weeks at least.
We've come to be a bit confused as she has started to crow a lot. I thought maybe I was wrong in thinking she was a hen, but she has no spurs, no sickle feathers, her comb/waddles seem larger than the rest of my hens but I haven't had this breed before so maybe they're average.
I know hens can crow, but from what I've found it's rare and they don't typically crow this much if they do.
Really I'm just looking for more opinions on the matter. Is it a possible sex-reversal? Is she actually a feminine rooster? Or just a hen who likes to crow? No idea! 😂 I included some photos of her too.
It looks pretty close to a buff Orpington. Definitely a cockerel, and he’s probably only 6 months old or so if he doesn’t have spurs :)

I’m so happy that you’re willing to keep him! Rescuing chickens is one of my favorite things and I find it to be very gratifying LOL! 😆

Hello!

It looks pretty close to a buff Orpington. Definitely a cockerel, and he’s probably only 6 months old or so if he doesn’t have spurs :)

I’m so happy that you’re willing to keep him! Rescuing chickens is one of my favorite things and I find it to be very gratifying LOL! 😆
Nice to know! He doesn't have any if the male traits I am familiar with and without knowing his age it was difficult to determine.
Rescuing was a fun thing to do, I'm hoping he warms up to us and gets a little friendlier towards people, but even if not he's still found a loving forever home 🥰

That's a very manly Buff rooster, probably an Orpington.

Hens don't get dumped.

Glad he has found a good home!
We originally thought "she" may have gotten separated from the flock by a predator or something and that "she" was simply a missing chicken.
Makes more since for him to be a dumped cockerel though. I'm glad he was found by the right person who knew the right people that would drive all the way out to get him.

Back
Top Bottom