CS15 -- The Official Michigan Chicken Stock Information Thread for June 20, 2015

Any concerns about the bird flu and CS? Anyway, if I make it this year, I'll probably just bring my feed sack totes and handspun yarns. I don't have much in the way of chickens to offer and no need to buy any. The only thing I have that might be of interest is a couple of FAVACAUNA a cockerels, very pretty, a couple of FBCM boys, a robust and crested OLIVE EGGER cockerel that is a mix of cream legbar and birchen marans, and a BLACK ORPINGTON cockerel - I hatched about 85% boys this year :( I won't bring them unless there is interest here, otherwise they will be in the freezer come CS so this is their last and only call.

Hello Wynette, I have a few bottles of fluid (we don't use it) that I can bring. I can also snag some charcoal - how many bags does he need?

I'd be very interested in two Black Copper Marans pullets, and maybe a Blue/Black as well. I had one of yours that I got from Laura (HBHen) a few years ago.

PM sent.

I'd think one of those very large bags or two medium sized ones of charcoal would work; of course, more is better, rather have you take some back home than not have enough. Thanks much!! Is there a separate thread for potluck items? Still looking for someone to bring hot dog buns & mustard/ketchup.

As far as bird flu - it hasn't reached Michigan yet, and hopefully, with these warm days we've had, we won't have a problem since it cannot tolerate temps above 70.
fl.gif

Okay. Wynette, I'm still interested in a few BCMarans and a BBC Marans.

RaZ - I'll be bringing the charcoal and fluid. Still undecided on a food item.

I'll be coming. Don't know what I'm bringing yet, but the important thing is that I'll be there, Krisrose will be joining me as usual.

Folks, I've reached out to Michigan State's Poultry Sciences Department to get feedback on whether we should discuss cancelling Chickenstock due to the bird flu scare. I'll post the reply when it arrives.

Checking PMs in a few...sorry to those who sent notes that I haven't replied to yet, it's been crazy, but I'll take a look at them now. :)

Folks, I sent a note to Mick Fulton, and his reply is below. I have a huge amount of faith in him & MSU's feedback, and it's my opinion that we reschedule Chickenstock for an August date - what do you all think?

Hello Wynette:

Many events are being cancelled due to the recent outbreaks of avian influenza. With H5N2 avian influenza occurring in Wisconsin, Kentucky, Indiana and Ontario, it might be wise to cancel your event this year. If you must hold it this year, holding it in August may be a better time. By then, most, if not all of the waterfowl northern migration should be done and hopefully at that time, the outbreaks will have ended.

Please inform your owners that they should watch their biosecurity practices. Here is a link to MSU’s website which provides some direction: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/biosecurity_efforts_are_important_for_michigan_poultry_and_bird_owners

Here is another good link that describes the disease:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/program/info/avian_influenza

If this disease strikes in a small flock, owners can expect to see a couple of dead birds (or more) and some sick birds. If owners have 1 dead bird and the rest of the flock acting normal, it typically is not an infectious disease.

Hope this helps,

Mick

R. M. "Mick" Fulton, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Diplomate, A. C. P. V.
Avian Pathologist

I trust his judgement. August will be a great month for it. My son is getting married 15 August so the weeks prior and that weekend are a big No-Go for me.

The pavilion is already paid for. So it is not just a simple matter of changing the date.

This "scare" seems to be more media driven than anything else. The backyard flock in Indiana had a different strain than the strain that has devastated commercial operations in other western states. So how is it that migrating waterfowl get the blame for infecting commercial hens; housed in warehouse conditions, with no access to the outside?

Good bio-security should be a primary concern in keeping our flocks healthy but I see no valid reason to over react and cancel Chicken Stock.

Have there been any cases in MI of either strain? Most migratory birds are nesting and feeding young at this point.

If any one has been exposed to it and lost birds they should probably opt out of coming. But the purpose of this is to meet each other as well as move birds, maybe we could do this with out birds involved? It would give us more time to get to know people.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom